help please removing lower unit on johnson 60 hp

Caroldiane

Cadet
help please removing lower unit on johnson 60 hp

We are trying to remove the lower unit on a 1985 johnson 60 hp out board motor to replace the water pump. we have all the bolts/screws loose, we could get it loose about 3/4 of a inch, but there seems to be something else holding it, some type of rod i think that comes from the upper unit, I was hoping we wouldnt have to take the upper unit off also. any ideas or suggestions are welcome. we did try looking behind the carb shifting to forward and reverse but really did not see anything we could take loose unless we took the whole carb off and other things... thank you!

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer
Re: help please removing lower unit on johnson 60 hp

Hi Caroldiane;<br /> I think what's still holding is the shift rod. This has to be disconnected before the lower unit can come off. Facing the front of the boat, stand on th left hand side of the engine, look under the lower carb. you will see the shift rod and how it's connected. Most had a 3/8" headed pin that has to be screwed out, and removed. You will probly have to get a pair of mechanical fingers to pull it out, and put it back in with.

Caroldiane

Cadet

Thank you we finally got it!!!

dadw3

Recruit

I have a 70hp Johnson, trying to remove lower unit to replace water pump. I have the 4 bolts off the unit, what else is there, i was told this was relatively easy, any tips or help would be appreciated.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You should start your own post, this one is about 5 years old.
Did you remove the shift linkage?
What is the year or model#?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes please start your own posts in the future......

You removed 4 bolts and the shift linkage? Then you missed a bolt ;)

Remove the trim tab and look for another bolt under the trim tab!

mmejb

Recruit

We are trying to remove the lower unit on a 1985 johnson 60 hp out board motor to replace the water pump. we have all the bolts/screws loose, we could get it loose about 3/4 of a inch, but there seems to be something else holding it, some type of rod i think that comes from the upper unit, I was hoping we wouldnt have to take the upper unit off also. any ideas or suggestions are welcome. we did try looking behind the carb shifting to forward and reverse but really did not see anything we could take loose unless we took the whole carb off and other things... thank you!

No problem, I just removed one of a 60HP 1970 Johnson.
Step 1:
The lower Unit is held to the casing by 6 bolts.
4 Bolts are visible and nvery easy to see where they connect to the housing 2 on each side. Take these out
Step 2 there are 2 remaining bolts that are holding the bottom end to the housing and they are not so easy to detect.
1 bolt is recessed in front of the bottom of the Lower Unit in front of the propeller
Take this bolt out.
That leaves 1 more bolt.
Take of the trim adjuster on the bottom of the unit (looks like a shark fin.
now once this is off, there is a cavity that you can look up inside off and low and behold, here is the sixth bolt. Take it out. This is the one nobody seems to find because it is hidden under the trim shark fin.

Now all bolts holding the lower end to the bottom of the housing have been taken out and simply pull the bottom end off after you have loosened the seal around them.

Glad I could comment
mmejb