1979 Starcraft 18 SS Here we go again!!

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1979 Starcraft 18 SS Here we go again!!

Well Ez and Jas, the wife really likes these Starcraft 18 SS's just like I do, I mentioned to her it would be real interesting to see how the I/O runs comapared to the O/B, she then said what will be do with two boats after. My reply was, 18 SS's are really hard to come by in Canada, and when they do come up for sale they go for a pretty penny, I always need a project to work on anyways so we might as well give it a try if the right deal comes along. Boy she is great.
I'm still haven't worked out what happens after the comparison!!!:facepalm::facepalm:

dozerII

Admiral

You sell the POS I/O :p:p

Now Now Ez, time will tell which one goes, it will be a tough decision, for the wife lol.:eek::eek::D

PS as and example there is an origional 1973 18 SS for sale in Alberta right now, not bad looking, cosmetic stuff, dated interior and "a wait for it 140 OMC Stringer " wait for it $5500.00 firm. ouch:facepalm:

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You sell the POS I/O :p:p

No way you just said that!! You'll be eating those words my OB lovin brotha!:p

Glenn, I eagerly await your side by side comparison and through, unbiased, objective review:D:D

dozerII

Admiral

No way you just said that!! You'll be eating those words my OB lovin brotha!:p

That's too funny Jas

Glenn, I eagerly await your side by side comparison and through, unbiased, objective review:D:D

Totally I have no biased bones in my body, ( honest)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The I/O will beat the pants off the outboard in fuel economy that's for sure. The outboard will probably spank the I/O on hole shot and time to plane. Top speed probably about equal. 37MPH maybe? Mine does 40 but there's a good chance I'm running closer to 115 than 90 with my larger carbs. I have a fairly heavy interior build though also. If mine isn't running 115 and more like 90, than you'll see 40 easy.

dozerII

Admiral

The I/O will beat the pants off the outboard in fuel economy that's for sure. The outboard will probably spank the I/O on hole shot and time to plane.

No question on fuel economy, and I would not say hands down ther O/B will kick the I/O a#@ on hole shot or time to plane either. It will be interesting, I'm interested in how the compare in handling, ride, and how they sit in the water.
Glen

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Glen you gotta stop removing the end tag from your quoted text. [/quote] needs to be at the end.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can safely say how that comparison would go down at my place if the wife were to choose. I'd just have to answer 1 question.

Wich one is quieter? Period! End of story.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wich one is quieter? Period! End of story.

Good point, however I don't know what the answer would be. I have always heard that I/O's were quieter but I think the 4 bangers are noisy little buggers. My uncle has a small Sea Ray with the 3.0 and I don't think it's particularly quiet and I was recently out in forum member Tim Fives' Islander with the 3.0 and I gotta say that thing was loud as heck. At least as loud as my outboard.

dozerII

Admiral

The first comment my wife made when she first went for a ride in the I/O was " boy is that ever quiet compared to the 16SS with the 90 Johnson", I have to agree with her, the 18 with the 120 is very quiet, even wide open. I wonder if Tim fives has an exhaust tube instead of bellows, I here that makes quite a difference.
Glen

dozerII

Admiral

Got up early this morning and got the second coat of color on the hull, I used the Valspar hardner, as the Majic stuff in not available in Canada. Wow is it shinny, I can hardly wait to see what it looks like dry. Once it does dry I will post some pics. Now I can put the transom together and get started on the trailer so there is a place to set the hull after it comes back right side up.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I am waiting patiently for photos.

OK, that's long enough, let's see it!:D

dozerII

Admiral

I am waiting patiently for photos.

OK, that's long enough, let's see it!:D

Okay Jas, here you go.
I absolutly love that Valspar hardner, not only shinny as h#$$% but it is dry to the touch already. Wow :D

Attachments

• may 001.JPG
    may 001.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 5
  • may 002.JPG
    may 002.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 5
  • may 003.JPG
    may 003.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 5

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OOOOOOOOOooooooooooo, preeeeeeeeeetttttttyyyyyy!:):):)

Thanks Glen:D

climat

Cadet

Looks Great! Can't wait to bring my SS up to date!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice paint job, looks glossy to me:)

Did it stop snowing up there yet? :D:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great! I'm think Rusto with hardener is going to be the official Starcraft club recommendation at this point.

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks guys, HA haven't had any snow in three weeks, but froze night before last and is supposed to again Sunday night, must be Global warming.:eek:

EZ I think your right about Rusto, I have read lot of good things about it here on Iboats, I am sure happy with how it went on and how easy it is to work with, and the price.

While the boat paint is hardening in the shop, I took the opportunity to tear into the trailer, total tear down and repaint. I hope to get some paint on it later today.

Attachments

• trailer 001.JPG
    trailer 001.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 2
  • trailer 002.JPG
    trailer 002.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 2
  • trailer 003.JPG
    trailer 003.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 2