Marine Stabil

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Brians post on fuel reminded me that I had recently seen Stabil that was labeled for marine use. Has anyone seen or used this product yet? Their web site claims it has 2 times the corrosion protection and 4 times the fuel cleaners as regular Stabil. Seems like it was formulated for ethanol blended fuels. The store I was at only had the Marine Stabil, so I was unable to do a direct price comparison, but you have to believe it's going to be more expensive than regular Stabil. Heck, just putting the word marine on probably jacks up the price!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Marine Stabil

westmarine thinks it's gold. did not find anything on stabil's web site.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use it since April 2008 and can't see anything different except the color of it :)

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

I saw it at walmart next to the lower unit oil. $$$$$$$$$
I don't know the difference in how it works but I know its about 3 times the price of the regular stuff.

H2ofria

Cadet
Stabil versus Marine Stabil whats the difference

Stabil versus Marine Stabil whats the difference

Getting ready to winterize my boat and have been wondering what is the difference, besides price, between Stabil (pink variety) and Marine Stabil (blue variety).

Appreciate any comments.

Skyhawk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Stabil versus Marine Stabil whats the difference

Getting ready to winterize my boat and have been wondering what is the difference, besides price, between Stabil (pink variety) and Marine Stabil (blue variety).

Appreciate any comments.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is any difference. I've been using the regular pink stuff Stabil for years with no problems.

gss036

Commander

I would think it has something to do with the ethenal (alcohol) gas. I saw it on the shelf at Walley world.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Here is what the manufacturer says. I just use the regular stuff or Sea Foam.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably the only difference between this and the pink stuff is that it removes more money from your wallet.:D

gss036

Commander

109JB, that is an excellent link and a LOT of truth in what they say about being a solvent and causing problems. If you collect water in you tank w/the gasahol (alcohol) there is a seperation tha takes place w/o the Stabil and it really creates major problems in older boats. It will even eat up old fuel lines and disolve some of the firberglass type tanks ( PATE) that were used in the older Boston Whalers, clog up the filters ,etc. We are lucky here as we can still get most gas w/o alcohol, some locations have it in all thier gas. The only ones here with alcohol is the ARCO/AM/PM stations and it is posted right on the pumps as having 10% alcohol.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Money out of your pocket. Use regular Stabil and forget it.

H2ofria

Cadet

Thanks for all of the information. The link 109jb sent was great. It also confirmed what I had already suspected. Since both of my outboards are less than a year old, with low hours, I don't think I need to spent the extra $'s for the Marine Stabil.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

It doesn't matter how old you engines are or how many hours are on them. This stuff has to do with treating the gas, and it's not the same as the regular Stabil.

The marine version doesn't just stabilize the fuel, it treats the ethanol within the fuel as well, which regular Stabil won't do and Sea Foam won't do.

It prevents what's called "phase separation" within ethanol gas, if you have seen separated fuel in a jar, you will not want that in your tank or being pulled into your engine, which won't run for too long once it gets in there.
I've taken it out of plenty of tanks when ethanol first came to Long Island like 3 years ago, HUGE problems.

On top of eating away the build up on the tank and eating away lines that aren't designed for it (not much of them around anymore), the ethanol combines with the moisture that is always in your tank from condensation, when it mixes it separates out of the fuel mixture and sinks to the bottom of the tank, so that when you start up again in the Spring you suck in a nasty mixture of separated ethanol and water, which will not burn and cause a lot of headaches for you.

The reason Sta-Bil came out with the marine formula was to compete with Star-Tron, which I still think is the best stuff out there for treating your fuel. If you use Ethanol fuel, you should be using an Ethanol treatment all year long, dump some in when you get gas, it will keep your fuel system clean and the tank in your fuel fresh the whole season. It's not expensive $15 will get you a big bottle of Star-Tron that will treat 80 gallons.

If you don't have to use ethanol fuel then you're fine with using the regular old Sta-Bil, but if you have ethanol in your tank you need to treat with an ethanol treatment.

I went to a seminar about two years ago, when ethanol was causing BIG problems in the Northeast, it was given by Bombardier and it was strictly on how to deal with treating ethanol. One of the first things they said was that ethanol gas is actually closer to 25% Ethanol rather than 10%, no matter what it says on the pumps. So 25% of what you put in your tank is an ethanol mixture if you have to use Ethanol gas.

They recomended double treating the fuel with an Ethanol treatment, like Star-Tron, for winter storage, and then in the Spring use a 93 Octane to fill up with, because as Ethanol fuel degardes over the winter it loses octane, so if you have 87 in there, even if it's treated, you may end up with something closer to an 85 or so in the Spring, so they advise putting some higher octane fuel in will even things out, once you burn that up you will be fine.

I've never heard a true answer to the question of storing full, empty, 1/2 full or it doesn't matter, but I have never had a problem with any technique. I've strored empty, full and 1/2 tank and as long as it was treated for Ethanol, and a new good water separator was used in the Spring, no problem.

Anyway, the moral is if you use Ethanol in your tank, you better use something to treat it, this is NOT the same fuel we used to have and the treatment is NOT the same.

Personally I trust the Star-Tron over anything, and it also helps with microbial growth on the bottom of the tank. Not sure if the Sta-Bil marine formula does that. But I have seen Star-Tron work wonders, so not willing to save $10 and risk it with Sta-Bil, but they do make good stabilizer, so I bet it's a decent product.

Wouldn't mind hearing some feedback from actual users.

Treat the Ethanol!!

Good Luck, winter sucks!!!

H2ofria

Cadet

Thanks for the input. According to the Stabil folks the only difference between the two products is that Marinbe Stabil just has more of the same stuff in it. The following quotes their web site:

"How does MARINE Formula STA-BIL? Ethanol Treatment and Performance Improver work, and how is it different from Regular STA-BIL?
MARINE Formula STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment is a new, enhanced formula of STA-BIL, America's top selling fuel stabilizer, that was designed to fight many of the unique problems related to ethanol in gasoline in the moisture-laden marine environment, and fights those problems in three ways:

1. Fights Fuel System Deposits ? Ethanol in gasoline acts as a solvent on the accumulated deposits in marine fuel tanks, fuel lines, carburetors, injectors. These loosened deposits can cause engine performance problems, including hard starting, rough running and stalling. MARINE Formula STA-BIL cleans-up power-robbing deposits from carburetors, fuel injectors and intake valves to improve engine performance. MARINE Formula STA-BIL contains more than FOUR TIMES the fuel system cleaner in Regular STA-BIL ? it is a Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

2. Fights Fuel System Corrosion ? Ethanol in gasoline attracts water from the moist marine air. Since virtually all marine fuel systems manufactured through 2007 vent to the air, the ethanol continually attracts water ? which can cause corrosion damage to marine fuel tanks, fuel lines, carburetors and injectors. MARINE Formula STA-BIL contains DOUBLE the corrosion preventer in Regular STA-BIL, to fight the unique problems of ethanol in gasoline in the marine environment, including marine fuel tanks which vent to the marine air.

3. Fights Fuel Degradation ? Pumped gasoline starts to degrade immediately. MARINE Formula STA-BIL keeps fuel fresh for up to 12 months in marine gas tanks. Just like Regular STA-BIL, adding MARINE Formula STA-BIL Keeps Fuel Fresh , and eliminates the need to drain fuel prior to storage."

From the companies description it seems they are basically the same although Marine Stabil has higher formulation for corrosion prevention and fuel system cleaning.

Last edited:

wbeaton

Commander

Thanks for the input. According to the Stabil folks the only difference between the two products is that Marinbe Stabil just has more of the same stuff in it.

Then I would say its significantly different than the original Stabil. Does that justify the huge bump in price? Probably not, but if it stops phase separation then its worth it to me. I know for a fact that regular Stabil doesn't. I had a small glass bottle of treated fuel that separated on display at work.

I agree with Cricket Too. The biggest problem with ethanol fuel is phase separation. The alcohol separates and sits at the bottom of the fuel tank. You can't just mix it back in. If your fuel separates and you burn straight alcohol you will soon wish you'd sprung the extra for the proper stuff.

With that said, I don't know if Marine Stabil is any good. This is my first year using it. I'll need a couple years at least to make up my mind. I'm not a big fan of the original Stabil. I think there are better products, but I have high hopes for the new Marine Stabil.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Good post by Crkt Too. I've had the same experiences when storing fuel - empty, half or full, I really haven't had a problem. However, down here in Houston I never really "winterize" - I just get too busy at work and end up waiting two or three months between cruises.

I've been using the Star-Tron stuff for the past year or two. Good good stuff.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I agree Woodnaut.....Star-Tron is great. I don't think I'll ever run without it in my tank again.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Here is the EPAs view on phase sepration
http://www.epa.gov/OMS/regs/fuels/rfg/waterphs.pdf

There are two ways of dealing with the problem:

1. You can use a 10 um fuel filter to physically remove the water from the fuel
2. You can use products that bind the water molecules to the fuel molecules and burned the water off in the combustion chamber.

I have a very strong preference for removing the water using a filter :)

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The water/fuel separator is a must have any way. My take on blue Sta-bil or Startron is simple. Ethanol is everywhere. Most states require a blend by law. Given the recent extremes in petroleum, most suppliers were dumping as much of the stuff as they could into gas. When I bought a boat this spring with a late nineties 50 hp 'rude, I set out to find something better than red Sta-bil. I found the marine formula and purchased it. I have since discovered Startron. You bet your bottom dollar one of the other of them will be mixed into my feul at all times. Another point, I have a lawn care service. My pride and joy is an Echo weed eater my dad purchased in the mid nineties before he passed away. It runs like a champ on the blue Stabil. I bought gas and mixed it just recently. I use high quality oil that has a stabilzer in it. I had forget the Sta-bil at the house. Did not think to add when I returned home.
Less than a week later, the Echo refused to run at WOT. I dumped the gas out of the tank and added fresh gas(no Sta-bil), no WOT. I dumped that out and added Sta-bil, weed eater ran like a champ. Same thing with the boat motor, it would not idle, would shut off at WOT, dumped nearly full tank of gas(when it was upwards of $3.50 plus) added Sta-bil, problem solved. Have no personal experience with the Startron as yet, but I have found a source now and it will be my next stabilizer purchased, after I use up that expensive bottle of Marine Sta-bil.

P.S. I also run sea-foam in my gas(if not every purchase, at least every third). It seems to keep down carb rebuilds. The carb on the weedeater was rebuilt for the first time last spring.