1989 Bass Tracker Fiberglass full restoration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello. I've posted bits and pieces on here but I figured I'd do a full resto thread and make it official. To this point I've gotten the cap off, the floors and foam out and a new transom glued in, waiting for glass. I've never done this before, so please, if you see me doing something stupid, let me know! I'll post some pics in a time line from when I started. Not much was rotten except for the front floor, but it all was SATURATED including all foam and transom. Every piece of wood is getting replaced. Some of you may remember some of them from some questions I had about certain things. Let me know what you think!

ry%3D400

Crappy cluttered pic of whole boat.

ry%3D400

Cap off! Notice the peeling up floor on the left side of pic.

ry%3D400

The cap is flipped so I can replace the main cockpit floor and front deck area. Later I'll flip it again and finish off the top half.

ry%3D400

Tearing apart the transom. Notice the patchwork scraps on the two side panels. These photos started a heated debate on here whether it was acceptable or not. You will see my decision on the matter below.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Bass Tracker Fiberglass full restoration.

ry%3D400

Here is where I'm at now. I used a mix of poly resin, milled fibers, glass bubbles and cabosil to adhere the panels to the outer skin. Same for the "fillets" around the edges. Should be ready for glassin now. I plan to use some 6" 1708 tape for every seam and edge, then layers of mat/woven. If you look in the background you can see my roll of 18oz woven. Think I've got enough? lol.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

This is that funky cut I was asking about on another thread. I think it came out just fine. Boy was it a bugger. My table saw was not happy with me at all!

So that's where I'm at right now. I hope to get the transom glassed and the stringers filled with foam again so I can glass those back up. Once that's done I can put the floors in and build the knee braces. Looking forward to any comments.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Real nice work so far on that transom.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! Appreciate the compliment.

Tonight I stopped and put in the 1708 tape along the seams. Below is a pic before I wet them out. I love 1708! This is the first time I've ever worked with it but boy is it nice. My original plan was to use the mat and 18oz woven roving that I had but I'm rethinking that now.

Originally the folks here said that if I were to use the woven that I would want 3 layers of mat/woven over the whole thing. Seems like 2 layers of 1708 would be sufficient instead. Is that correct? If so I'm going to order some more 1708 and use that. I think it would save me some time and resin, plus be stronger in the end. Am I on the right track with that?

ry%3D400

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sometimes it only takes one layer of the 1708. What was there when you tore it out? Also on my Boat the deck was mounted in the hull and the cap sat on top of it. Then it was resinated and taped to the cap with carpet over it. Oh, and I agree, you did a great job on the transom cut.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Honestly, there was not much there when I tore it apart. It had probably a layer of csm or chopper gun, then a layer of woven and another layer of mat or gun. Total probably 1/8" or less. I feel that 3 layers of mat/woven is going to be stupid heavy and a lot of resin and probably more glass than I really need. I also think 1 layer of 1708 might be a bit lean but 2 layers plus the tabs I did for the seams would be perfect. I just found out that a place near me sells 1708 for 50 cents more per yard than US composites and I don't have to pay shipping. Plus I get to support local business so I'm headed there ASAP to get some more 1708.

Thanks again for the kind words on the cut. It took me a LOT of measuring so I didnt ruin the blank and have to start over. I used marine ply which I know a lot of folks says isn't necessary but the local yard had it and it wasnt that expensive. Only about 20 or so bucks more for a sheet than good exterior ply.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you keep up this kind of work you're going to have to scrape off the Tracker decals :p

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinkin the same thing actually! I wish I was doing this to a nicer boat like a skeeter or ranger, but this is what I've got. It's got a great motor (which also needs a rebuild) and I really actually like the setup. It's got a nice modern look to the guage cluster. Better than many other boats of that era. The decks are nice and large and it has good storage. I don't have much into the boat and assuming it rides nice I should have a nice rig when I'm done. I've heard reports of 60 plus with this boat/motor combo so we'll see. I'll probably poop my pants at 50 but it's good to have head room.

Maverick27

Cadet

Wow! I have this exact same boat, except I have the tracker Pro 90 motor. Mine is all original and super clean. I'm impressed that you tore it down and can do all of that work! Rest assured, you will LOVE the boat! Mine absolutely SCREAMS!! It rides awesome, and I fish on friends' Rangers, champions, etc. This cuts through chop like butter. You are welcome to hit me up for any pics or video of it an action. It will be like watching your boat when it's done!

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! I have this exact same boat, except I have the tracker Pro 90 motor. Mine is all original and super clean. I'm impressed that you tore it down and can do all of that work! Rest assured, you will LOVE the boat! Mine absolutely SCREAMS!! It rides awesome, and I fish on friends' Rangers, champions, etc. This cuts through chop like butter. You are welcome to hit me up for any pics or video of it an action. It will be like watching your boat when it's done!

That would be really cool to see. Yours screams with just a 90 horse? Wow. Makes me even more anxious to get this thing to float! Thats a Mercury 150 xr4 hanging off the back of this thing. I've heard great things about this motor except for the lower end but I'm hopeful.

So here is some more progress I've made. I got the transom all fiberglassed in with 2 layers of 1708 plus an extra layer of 1708 tape on the seams and edges.

I also got the stringers filled back in with foam and I'm getting ready to glass those in. There will be a little bit of work to do that because I have to sculpt the indents for the livewells into them but foam is easy to work with.

I really underestimated the amount of foam I need. I confess, I did not actually calculate. I just guestimated judging from other things I've foamed in the past. Just to do the stringers I used a full 1 gallon kit. (2 gallons total) of US composites foam.

I put a board across the top with about 80 lb of weight and it still pushed it up. I did that so there would be less mushroom effect and it would travel laterally instead of just straight up and over the sides. I then used a hand saw to trim it off, and a 2x4 with 36 grit paper to fine tune a flat edge on the top.

I also have the main piece of flooring cut but not complete yet. Hoping to have the rear portion of the floor done by middle of this week. Here's the pics!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow, I just bought the same boat about 2 weeks ago,
If you don't mind me asking was yours in that bad of shape or how did it get in that bad of shape to need such extensive rebuilding? I will be following along with great interest. I have the Johnson Tracker 90 hp on mine. It sails across the water.

DSCN1018.jpg

j_martin

Admiral

I was thinkin the same thing actually! I wish I was doing this to a nicer boat like a skeeter or ranger, but this is what I've got. It's got a great motor (which also needs a rebuild) and I really actually like the setup. It's got a nice modern look to the guage cluster. Better than many other boats of that era. The decks are nice and large and it has good storage. I don't have much into the boat and assuming it rides nice I should have a nice rig when I'm done. I've heard reports of 60 plus with this boat/motor combo so we'll see. I'll probably poop my pants at 50 but it's good to have head room.

I've got a 1988 tracker 1800FS with an XR4 in good tune on a 6 inch jack plate.

Runs high 50's with a full load, mid 60's if I'm alone and light. Handles hot, but very nice with Dual Rack NFB steering on it. Wheel is a 24p High Five. Turns low 6g's.

I put a transom in mine without taking the cap off. (project's on Screamandfly.com) I noticed the floor is getting a bit soft, so I'm sure it's all wet again. I think they sprayed them pretty light on the resin, and if you nick the gel coat it'll soak up water. If I do mine, I'll sand it all down on the inside and put a layer of 6oz and epoxy on it to seal it and stiffen it a bit.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I purchased this boat as a project and it was trashed when I got it. This is what happens to a boat that sits uncovered for even 1 winter with the plug in. The boat must have filled up with water. When that happens, water seeps into every nook and cranny. The transom was not rotten but wet. The floors were a tad soft, but not bad. The main reason for the teardown was the saturated foam. The foam on these boats is not well isolated and water can easily penetrate the cavities. There is also no provision for drainage so once water gets in there its all over. I'd guess the boat weight a good 400 pounds more than it should have.

Thats a nice looking boat, tuffshot. glad to hear people that own these boats like them. Seems there are not many out there. Mine is an 1800 TF where yours is a 1600. Mines a bit larger so I guess that's why it has the bigger motor.

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks mogfisher

I'm sure your boat will be great after the rebuild. I ran across several boats before buying mine that I knew had some punky wood and shyed away from them. I just wanted to go fishing for now.:)

Reading this forum has made me want to take on a project boat sometime in the future though. I'm sure the rewiring will be quite a task when it is time.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

So was the transom just a bunch of pieces of scrap glassed together? That looked like shabby work from the manufacture. If it held the 150 before it will surely hold it now! Nice Work.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks good Mogfisher. Alot of people are using the foam sheets and cutting it in because it allows for better drainage not being a solid piece. The small voids between the fitted pieces gives the water a place to go. Thats why I used it instead of pouring it back in. It was sickening scooping out all the saturated gunk. I'm sure it held the water and contributed to the rot to begin with.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

The main center section of the transom was one solid piece of wood, but the two side panels that angle towards the sides of the hull were made with scraps. I used one piece but I'm also not a production facility trying to turn a profit.

As for the foam, I have gone over the options on the foam and decided to go with pour foam. In the stringers I would have had to do it anyway and since there is no wood down there wet foam will only add weight, not rot. There is also not a provision for water to drain from inside the stringers to the bilge, so any water that gets into the spaces between the foam (if I used sheets) would stay. I do not want to make holes in my stringers. I also need the sculptability of the pour foam to shape my stringers a bit.

I also feel that pour foam adds some degree of structure and certainly adds sound deadening. Foam is pretty strong. If I can stand on it, it will certainly help with hull flex should I hit something. It will also help adhere the floor to the hull as well.

The reason I bought this boat is because the only bass boat I could afford was an old one. An old boat is going to need work, I know that. Many boats this age need transoms and floors unless they are garage kept all their lives. The way I figured it, I could buy one that I knew needed these things and get it cheap, or spend more on one that might not need them now, but will soon. I'm looking long term and the way I see it, I should be fishing from this boat for the next 10 years at least.

Maverick27

Cadet

Wow! This thread makes me feel very lucky! My boat is very very solid. It's so clean that it even has the original carpet!!! Only one little mark on the corner of the rod locker where it rubbed off. I guess mine screams with the 90 on it because mine us a 1600tf. I'll post you some pics, as long as it's not taken as a thread jack :)

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

If a boat is cared for it can last a very long time. Seems yours was. Mine was too until the last year or so of it's life. It has the orignal carpet which was in pretty good shape until I cut the floor out! I've seen people doing jobs like I'm doing on my boat on a boat that was only 10 years old. It's all in the way it was kept. I'd like to see a pic of your boat and wouldn't consider it a thread jack. It will be like a look into the future of what mine will look like someday.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

ry%3D400

That's the front carpet. Looks pretty good. It's not until you start digging around until you find the bad stuff on this boat. Cosmetically, except for some oxidized gelcoat and some scuffs on the hull it looks pretty good. I even have the key for all the lockers!

Status
Not open for further replies.