Made some tools today (pics)

G1K

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I thought some people may enjoy seeing these. The first is the alignment tool. I started by chucking a 1 3/8 bar in the lathe. Turned down the two diameters for the business end. Flipped the bar around, and put some knurling on the handle. It came out nice. It'll be awhile before I get to use it...

Attachments

• alignment tool01.jpg
    alignment tool01.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
  • alignment tol 02.jpg
    alignment tol 02.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
  • alignment tool 04.jpg
    alignment tool 04.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
  • alignment tool 05.jpg
    alignment tool 05.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
  • alignment tool 06.jpg
    alignment tool 06.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0

G1K

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Made some tools today (pics)

Next is the tool to remove the bearing retainer. I didn;t have the energy to get this one finished today..

It started as a 6" diameter rod of 8620 steel. Put it in the band saw and cut off a 1/4" - 3/8 " hick piece. Next, chuck it in the lathe and bore out the center hole. finally, into the mill to get the drive teeth.

I'll make the handle separately and weld t on. The splines still need a bit of cleaning up and squaring before they'll properly engage the bearing retainer.

Working with metal is fun, I'll trade getting hit with a few hot chips over fiberglass sanding any day :)

Ryan

Attachments

• bearing tool01.jpg
    bearing tool01.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
  • bearing tool02.jpg
    bearing tool02.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • bearing tool 04.jpg
    bearing tool 04.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
  • bearing tool 05.jpg
    bearing tool 05.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
  • bearing tool06.jpg
    bearing tool06.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

cool...... there's a lot of tools you can make with that equipment. Saves plenty of cash and you can make it on the spot as you are rebuilding something.

ziggy

Admiral

i'm envious.......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yep, 10 to 20K worth of machinist lathes, mills, and layout tools and you to can make $150 worth of Mercruiser tools, or you could buy ALL of those Merc special tools already made and heat treated, machined, and numbered for about 5K

G1K

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep, 10 to 20K worth of machinist lathes, mills, and layout tools and you to can make $150 worth of Mercruiser tools, or you could buy ALL of those Merc special tools already made and heat treated, machined, and numbered for about 5K

But there's no fun it that :) Can buy tools for a single purpose, or buy tools to make any other tool you may need...

Ryan

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

LOL, I do it on my $2000 Smithy Lathe/Mill I bought 20 years ago. Paid for itself 20 times over. I have a nice Caterpillar front seal installer that I made with about $5.00 of scrap that would have cost me $450. Not to mention all the prop nuts I have machined and all the bearing and seal tools I have made. I have three drawers full of tools I have made to do a job..... would have easily cost me way more to buy.

G1K

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LOL, I do it on my $2000 Smithy Lathe/Mill I bought 20 years ago. Paid for itself 20 times over. I have a nice Caterpillar front seal installer that I made with about $5.00 of scrap that would have cost me $450. Not to mention all the prop nuts I have machined and all the bearing and seal tools I have made. I have three drawers full of tools I have made to do a job..... would have easily cost me way more to buy.

Isn't it nice to make something you need when you need it?

That's the best part.

Making these tools gives me something to do that is low stress, teaches me something about machining (I learn a new trick with everything I make), and it's fun.

Ryan

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

That's the best part.

Making these tools gives me something to do that is low stress, teaches me something about machining (I learn a new trick with everything I make), and it's fun.

Ryan

If it keeps you off the Prozac, it must be good

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yeah....I'm jealous too! My neighbor (with the lathe, mill, etc....) didn't have a knurling tool..... So I couldn't knurl my alignment tool...... He said knurling was over-rated anyway!! But it works just fine!:D

I thought some people may enjoy seeing these. The first is the alignment tool. I started by chucking a 1 3/8 bar in the lathe. Turned down the two diameters for the business end. Flipped the bar around, and put some knurling on the handle. It came out nice. It'll be awhile before I get to use it...

tommays

Admiral

I would just try and go with steel as much as possible as you keep making new tools as the Alu is on the soft side

If you have to tap the aliment tool to shift the gimble bearing it is going to Flex more than shift the bearing

Tommays

tandg96

Cadet

The sad part is I can make the tools and heat treat them! I'm just so new to the boating thing I just do not know What to make (yet!). Great job!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

hmmm.... should i start my wishlist?? :) think ya can spin me up a diacom?? :) :) :)

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe I missed something here. I'm sure no one is going to go out and buy a lathe or mill just so they can make some tools to fix their boats. If you already have invested in the equipment however I think it makes absolute since to make them as opposed to spending 5K on OEM tools that can be manufactured at a fraction of the cost.

Good job on the alignment tool, looks just like mine that I bought off eBay.

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

I made this gimbal bearing installer on my little 6" Atlas metal lathe. It consists of a big nut with a collar welded on it that I found in a scrap bin, and an aluminum handle machined to fit. Drives them in "like butter". Also pictured is my slightly modified gimbal bearing puller.

Attachments

• gimbal01.jpg
    gimbal01.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 0
  • gimbal02.JPG
    gimbal02.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 0

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

What? you don't have a built-in spell checker?

My wonderful operating system automatically underlines the misspelled words in red!

It's very kool!

impressive thread!- I'm impressed at the correct spelling of knurling even!

G1K

Petty Officer 3rd Class

newport dave, very nice. And even more so off a small machine like the 6" atlas. I have a 12" that's almost ready to start turning out some decent owrk, needs a few more adjustments to the gibs to get everything tight.

I'm saving your pics, I'll have to turn one down shortly..

wil7843: You're right the tooling and machines are a sunk cost. The only realy cost is my time and the raw material. Sometimes ya gotta make due with what you have, and it's easier for me to make things especially if I need it now and can't wait to have it shipped. On the other hand, when free time is short, and I can plan, it's easier to order what I'll be needing..

Ryan

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's the best part.

Ryan

it sure is. i once made a 1/4 inch cutless bearing from an old brass drift for my gas remote speed boat.