1989 Bass Tracker Fiberglass full restoration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Bass Tracker Fiberglass full restoration.

So last night I finally get a buddy to help me. I figure, heck yeah, I'll put him in the suit and give him the grinder to prep the surface for the new glass on the stringers. Well, about halfway through we pop the breaker and I don't have the new key to the room with the breaker panel! Argg. So here we are, it's like 11:30 at night, full suit with a grinder, in the dark. Oh well. Had to call it a night. But between that and the work I did today I'm getting close on the stringers.

I carved out the livewell indents with a small air grinder and laid a small piece of plywood where the deck supports bolt down to. Then I laid a piece of csm on the indent. Today I put a piece of 18oz woven down the length of the stringer but did not adhere it to the sides. I did this mostly for a flat surface that isn't foam. It will just add mass and support to the top of the stringer. The next step is to lay a piece of 1708 completely over the stringer from the outer floor, up one side, over the top, down the other side and onto the floor again. This should conclude the stringer work. At least for the rear section.

Here's where I'm at.

ry%3D400

In this old picture you can kinda see what I'm trying to recreate with the indents for the livewells. I took some careful measurements before teardown to make it easier.
ry%3D400

Hghvoltage

Seaman

Nice looking work so far. Your transom parts look great.

I know one thing with all that 1708 in there it will never come apart again. Great job so far. Keep up the good work.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again for all the kind words. Here is this weeks progress. I got the stringers all glassed up and the floor laid in. I did not get pics of the floor glassed in around the edges yet. Just picture the floor as you see it with a layer of 6" 1708 tape around the edges.

The next step is to glass over the wood. I'm not sure what I should use for that. I don't really think I need a lot of structure, do I? Would a layer of 2 oz csm and a layer of woven be overkill? I think so but not sure. I also have a roll of 50" wide cloth which I believe is probably 6 oz. I don't really want to use csm because of the amount of resin it drinks. I'm sure it just adds a bunch of weight for not much gain. I did cover the underside of the ply with the 2oz csm and it took TONS of resin. Maybe 2 layers of that 6 oz cloth? I'm not sure. I need a suggestion there.

This first pic is the bottom of the floor piece. We obviously had to use 2 sheets of ply and we wanted to csm the bottom so we did it all as one piece on the bottom. Should help seal it up and add a bit of strenght. I just wanted to make sure that when I bedded the floor to the stringers that there would not be any lip where the 2 pieces met.

I used a mix of resin/glass bubbles/milled fiber/cabosil to bed the floor and fill the edges. That's where all my darn resin is going. That eats it up fast. I've already killed 5 gallons of resin!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone have a suggestion as to what I should cover that wood with on the floor?

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice job, Will be fallowing this one

Clay:)

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

So it's been a while but here are some more pics from this summer. I'm actually a bit further than this but don't have the pics yet. I'll get some soon.

ry%3D400

I cut the front stringers open to pull the wet foam. Then I glassed the blanks back in. Much easier than using all new glass for that and the 1708 tape was perfect for the job.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here you see the front stringers all back together with new foam and the holes glassed over.

Have you ever seen wood do this? This is the underside of the old casting platform. What is it? It looks like a bunch of pieces of 2x3 cut endwise. You can see the endgrain of rotten and saturated wood. NASTY.

ry%3D400

meankillerdogs

Recruit

hey i got the same boat and i what to know how had was it to get the top off.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

mogfisher,

The forum has gone thru a major renovation and you will need to RE-Link all of your pics.

Sorry Dude!

meankillerdogs

Recruit

I have the same boat and i can get about 52 mph in it.I just started to restore it but i dont think i am going as far as you are but you never know. How hard was it to get the top off.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

ry%3D400

i havent given up!! just slow. got a new lady to keep me busy.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well folks. It's a boat again! I will get some pictures soon. All that is left is to wire the radio and do the carpet. The old carpet is still on the hatches but the main cockpit floor and casting deck still are bare. I've fished it a dozen times and it's great. The motor rebuild went smooth and the boat rides very well. I've hit close to 60 with a full load and 2 guys so I'm pleased with it. Thanks to everyone on here for posting. I wouldnt have even bothered without this forum. On to my next project! 1970 20' Seacraft CC!! Just picked it up. So if I'm honest the bass boat wont get a radio or carpet for a while. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.