Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

Today's work. You wouldn't think it took almost all day, with a few short interruptions. I started out sanding and filling holes with JB Weld. Used thin aluminum as a backing, then applied from the underside. Lots of holes - a poorly attached bimini top, a flag holder, extra step pads and who knows what else...also a horn and center cleat I'm not replacing but plan to add one new cleat on each side.

wDSC_2521a.jpg

The paint's pretty thick and a lot of it is sound, so I decided not to strip the whole thing, just remove the unsound areas by sanding and/or stripper, scuffing what's left and painting. I have one of Harbor Freight's $20 orbital sanders on order.

wDSC_2527a.jpg

This guy was watching me...sorry, my day job is "photographer".

wDSC_2527cr.jpg

I took off the windshield, put the old seat boards back in for measuring and fitting for the new seats. Lots of measuring and note taking. From the front...

wDSC_2535.jpg

From the back...

wDSC_2532.jpg

Then unpacked the new steering to make sure it would fit, hope the bezel kit will make the wheel clear the dash tray. Ordered some aluminum stock for new seat board assembly, and visited Lowe's to replenish the JB Weld supply.

Time to call it a day.

Last edited:

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Good days work, that fella watching you reminds me of 'oh no Mr Bill' with his hair on fire lol

Luv those seats!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Those seats look great:D If I had the cash I'd get a whole set of those in grey. They look pretty comfy:)

They are individual and not back-to-back it looks like...do the seats touch at the back?

It seems like if people were leaning back in the seats they would push each other around.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

They are individual and not back-to-back it looks like...do the seats touch at the back?

It seems like if people were leaning back in the seats they would push each other around.

They won't touch when I make the new bench supports and get them placed. That's what a lot of my time-consuming measuring was about. It would be a nasty ride with both waves and being bumped around by the seat behind you. I have to be careful about that dimension.

My plan at this point is to have the back bench go all the way across, with a vertical support in the middle. For the front, I want to make two individual supports so it will be easier for front seat passengers to get into the front after stepping over the back board. My wife has some knee problems, so that's a major consideration. I could do 4 individual supports, but don't know if I want to go that route now. I'm looking for the fewest number of joints and potential water entry points into the wood and floor as possible.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I figured that issue had occurred to you as you thought out the whole scheme for the seats. I really like the idea of having seats that swivel rather than the back-to-back as mine had from the factory.

If there's enough room you will be able to spin and face each other while anchored to play a game or cards or eat. That's why I didn't go with the BTB at least, and they are awfully expensive too.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A little more patching and paint stripping today.

I had some old "environmentally friendly" stripper on hand so I gave it a try.
wDSC_2543.jpg

It's supposed to be odor-free, but smells weird..the first thing my son said when he walked by.

Makes you wish the older types were more readily available. This stuff is kind of a PIA, very slow working and you really do have to mask like the directions say because the overspray dries into crusty white spots that gets on everything, esp. if there's a little wind. I let it sit an hour or more, then scraping was still very tough work, then had to use a wet rag to wipe up all the white spatters caused by the light breeze.

I need to try something else if I do more stripping. Slow going today.

Anyway, a little progress & time to quit to do some other stuff.

wDSC_2540.jpg

wDSC_2545.jpg

bananaboater

Ensign

Quick FYI. I took out my splash tray pretty easily. Easy now with all the screws removed from the transom. Used a thick aluminum approved paint remover but just on the bottom. Did not do top!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Quick FYI. I took out my splash tray pretty easily. Easy now with all the screws removed from the transom. Used a thick aluminum approved paint remover but just on the bottom. Did not do top!

I guess you're right, just a few rivets left. I was hoping to work on it in the boat, but removing it may be my best bet, given the problems I had today. It needs a fair amount of work anyway, it's pretty beat up. I think I remember the PO telling me he had installed a ski tow bar at one point, attached to the splashwell, and it really wasn't strong enough to support it. So I've got some fairly big holes, dents & deep scratches to fix.

Thanks for the pointer.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I'm trying to figure some way to turn some version of this into a nice dash emblem. Whatever the material would be needs to be UV-resistant and permanent. It could probably be done in metal for some price worth more than my whole project...

logo-new-4x4.jpg

Update...looking into laser engraving on wood or metal. Have some feelers out.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay now I don't feel so bad with my speed..... :D

We will be ready for ice fishing :D

You could probably get that Starcraft emblem off ebay and just ask if it is UV resistant.

bananaboater

Ensign

OK historians, why does it say Topeka, not Goshen?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

You could probably get that Starcraft emblem off ebay and just ask if it is UV resistant.

I think that's maybe where I got the picture, I removed the color w/ Photoshop. I was hoping to come up with some way to get maybe a simplified 3-D, or at least metal, badge. Even with out the fine print. I'm still looking around the internet. The decals are about $5, but I could see it peeling after a while.

Hmmm.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Note to self:

Don't spread JB Weld on the deck when maple seeds are drifting down.

:D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Note to self:

Don't spread JB Weld on the deck when maple seeds are drifting down.

:D

LOL, I just had to add that third coat of gluvit on the back third while they were dropping...still remnants if you look hard enough :(:redface:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Another question - how does the bow cap come off? I drilled out the 2 rivets underneath and got it to move forward less than 1/8". (My objective is to get out the rub rail vinyl. I took out the screw in the back and pulled and it stretched, but I concluded it must have another screw in the front.)

Anyway, I don't want to force the bow cap too much, is there a trick to it?

w-DSC_2559.jpg

w-DSC_2561.jpg

By the way, thanks to all those who have been there and done that and shared their know-how with me so far!

bananaboater

Ensign

I need the info too.......... Decided to try to clean up my top rub rail.

Albert

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, there is a bit of a trick and if you horse it off you'll break it.

Check my thread, post #130 - #132 range. There is a little lip on there that you need to pry away very gentle like. You'll see that I ended up with a little chip on mine, rats!