new girl small issue, first boat!

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
forgot to get pix, float went very well, no leaks, floating nicly and caught 3 perch and 1 7 pound catfish....only snag was getting the boat on to the trailer and getting the trailer back up the bank even with a bull dozer doing the moving. but got it home, gonna work on the engine tomorrow...today, relaxing.

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
video of a close friend and fellow furry working on my boat engine for me. you can hear it give a bark of life at about the 1:25 point. sadly he had to stop shortly after this due to the screw terminal on the positive battery terminal melting. looks like new battery cables, solenoid and officialy a carb rebuild now. monday i'll swing by autozone and turn in the battery...dun trust it now that a terminal has overheated and melted. will get a new battery on the 10th along with a few parts.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Some brave souls working on an engine in bare feet. I would look at the spark myself being how fuel was supposed to be flowing with the accelerator pump on the carb. But then again, is that fuel good quality fuel and not mixed with water. :noidea:

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Sounded like it was cranking slow, new battery and cables for sure. Could you smell fuel reaching the carb? If my 4.3 Mercruiser sits even overnight it is difficult to start, The float bowl will drain down completely so make sure you're getting enough fuel

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
gas was bought on the 25th. when i get a new battery, the starter cable and main negitive cables will be on the fat posts while the trim pump will be on the threaded terminals. dun like the fact that it was set up to have such a high draw part on threaded terminals, to me thats like having a 22gauge wire being used inplace of a 2 gauge wire. but yeah, the cables are getting replaced, new battery, and it was cranking slowly because it's been used alot that day and i forgot to put it on the charger the night before. the relay is also getting replaced with out question.

briangcc

Commander
I use an equivalent of these on my Trans Am:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/battery-terminals/sp/bassik-positive-battery-terminal/

They make one for the negative side too. If you don't like the design, do some searching on car audio websites as there other options out there.

Another option, since you're replacing the cables anyways, is to get these:

http://www.iboats.com/Seasense-Mari...19495138--session_id.887586409--view_id.56634

Convert your starter/engine connections to ring terminals and any of the accessory ring terminals as needed and again, all the wiring on one connection.

**A good autoparts store may carry these as well as they're basically converting a top post battery to ring terminals.

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
i'll look in to those...had a some what good day today, got the engine fired up, ran like flunkin carp and got to watch gas seep out of the gasket between the carb top and the air horn body near the float bowl...banged on the carb with my framing hammer, seepage stopped and engine smoothed out. so tells me the float needle is sticking..either way, its getting a full cleaning and rebuild. tomorrow i'm going to pick up some free plywood and OSB and start making the interior parts. now question..blower....the outlet hose, that goes to the vent or near the bilge...need to know as i'm either goingto make my own out of an rc plane ducted fan unit or break down and buy one..the DF unit will use a brushless motor and a 60 amp ESC that can run on 7.4v to 14.4v and be controled by a servo tester. i miss doing r/c stuff....really do.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Personally I would NOT use any OSB board an anything to do with a boat. But to each their own. And even using plywood, they still need water proofed if you plan on keeping this boat for any length of time. JMHO

briangcc

Commander
I'd be leery of using anything but a marine blower in the bilge. One spark + gas vapor = Big Badda Boom. Great for fireworks displays, not so much for boats.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
"Big badda boom" Milla Jovovich never looked better. lol

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
At the least for ply;
ACX, BCX CDX IN THAT ORDER. Available at all home deblows and blowes. Anything else free or not is a waste of your time, money and......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
OSB looses all strength when wet

Marine blowers are SAE J1171 compliant

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
sorry about no updates the past couple days.. dealing with mild food poisoning and havn't felt much like doing much. however i did feel ok enough to enjoy a warm early spring day, cranked up some rob zombie and started to fill screw holes that i won't be useing, epoxied wood blacks in to places where i'll be mounting stuff and doing some fiberglass work...did manage to make the bow light work on a motorcycle battery. unscrewed the trim pump from the floor and started to do some work around the engine.
however did forget to drain the fuel system before removing the fuel line from the pump and dumbed gas in to the bilge. promptly grabbed some super clean and started to clean it up....till i refilled the bilge with the contents of my stomach..and called it a day. on a good note.. i can fully use my right wrist again, little stiff, but no more brace!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure your fuel pump is pumping? Doesn't look or sound like it. JMHO

briangcc

Commander
Having been there, done that, you're emptying the fuel bowls on the carb. Float set incorrectly, stuck, or fuel pump not keeping up. Since it was mentioned earlier that tapping on the carb caused the engine to run better, I'd wager a stuck/sunk float, if there's an inline filter it's probably in dire need of replacement, and a carb in need of a rebuild.

I'd tackle that first, otherwise you'll be in the market for a starter as well.

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
i took the carb off and stripped it down..lots of crud in the bowl, blocked up rear spray bar..one accelerator pump hole is squirting and some how some one bent the base mixture screw. wensday will be getting the carb kit.. the fuel pump on the otherhand is moving fuel very very well. the metering needle for the inlet was a little sticky and coated in a black corrosion looking stuff, the outlet metering needle was notchy, accelerator pump had a tear in one of the cups. right now i got most of the carb parts soaking in chemdip, and will let them soak for a few days. so...in the mean time, get to finish the electrical and replace switches...and the horn button......any buy a new horn..yaaaay. thinking la cucuracha or the redneck horn.

nikkievix

Seaman Apprentice
so looking back and thinking about the inability to run and eventualy not drawing gas....i didn't think nothing of it when i took the fuel line out of the can and failed to notice.....that the hose was never in the gas :blue: if memory serves...a fuel line and pump work best when the end of the hose is submerged in fuel rather than sitting above it. *kicks self*