1975 StarCraft SS

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry but I posted this same topic in another section of the forum yesterday. I thought it was best to move it over here because I will be starting to ask a lot of repair and how to questions. Correct me if this is not right or should be done another way. After searching for a while I finally brought a boat home. Its a 18 ft 1975 StarCraft SS with a 1975 Johnson stinger 75hp and sits on an 05 load rite trailer. The engine started easily and ran good and the trailer is in great condition. The boat is useable but is in need of some TLC and repair. The center floor area in the bow is springy and the splash well cover has about a 1/16 to 1/8 inch gap between itself and the transom. The transom feels solid but im no expert. I need to put an electric motor on it for use on an electric only lake 2 miles from my house. I have not decoded yet how to approach any repairs yet. One part of me wants to use it for a season and then tear into it, the mechanic in me says to fix everything I know is wrong first. Any opinions or advice on this issue? I also need some advice on the trolling motor. How much thrust would I need to move this thing around on some inland state park lakes? Im not looking to set any records but would like to not worry about getting back to the dock. That leads to the next question: should I focus on 12v or 24v? I know the advantages of each but also don't want to have a dead battery in a couple of hours. I currently have a small minn kota 30lb thrust 12v for my 14 foot car topper but for the new ride I was thinking about a bow mount. All advice or opinions are greatly appreciated

Attachments

• photo230954.jpg
    photo230954.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo230987.jpg
    photo230987.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you ask, topics can be moved.

I closed the brought it home topic and linked this one.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you want to document the work you plan/want to do, I'd suggest a title change to something other the Finally got a boat.

My 1975 Starcraft 18ft SS

Or whatever you prefer.

Congrats on picking up a great boat. Hope you get some good use out of if w whats left of the season.

Dont wait too long if there's soft decking. It does have an impact on other parts of the boat.

If the deck has soft spots, the flotation foam may be waterlogged, same w the transom.

Congrats and good luck

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
if it were mine, I'd go with at least 24V and 70lbs of thrust. You might even want more depending upon how windy it gets. Bow mount for sure, easier to pull than to push. No advice given, your call. Life is short, sometimes it's better to have your dessert first. I fish in my 12' when working on the other
You'll have a really nice boat when you're finished

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
JB how do I change the title? The more I think about it the more Im leaning towards trying to get the troller soon and then replacing the floor and transom over the winter. I will fix or repair any issues under the deck that needs addressed while the floor is up but I think Im going to leave the paint as is for now. It would be nice to take the daughter out a couple of times before winter rolls around. Out of all the ones I looked at(both in person and on line) this one was in the best condition and the best price in my mind. I paid $1000 for the whole set up. The boat has a bimi on it, fish/depth finder and the snap in bow cover. The trailer is in excellent shape along with a nice, easy starting(cold and warm) motor and what I would say is a very solid hull. Its probably a little underpowered but Im not looking to set any speed records. Just want to have some quality fun time with the family. Thanks in advance for the answers any of my questions(both dumb and intelligent).

jbcurt00

Staff member
Just post the title you want and a mod can change it for you anytime.

Just dont let 'I think it'll be good for another season' take hold.

Dont recall for 1975, but its rated for a 120-140hp max, so yeah, a little under power, but if you arent carrying 2 coolers full of ice/food/beer/fish, 150lbs of fuel, all the necessary gear, plus 3 200lb+ fishing buddies, it'll still get out of its own way, IMO.

Congrats again

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks how about changing the title to "1975 StarCraft SS"? Yes I'm more inclined to get it all fixed up this winter for next season. Im fortunate to have a fairly large garage that has a furnace for heat in it. That should make working on it during the cold months a bit easier.

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another, Starcraft resto! :disturbed: LOL. J/K! Nice boat, really like the color of that outboard too. Can't wait to see some more pictures. Goodluck

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I think I have a game plan. Going to fog the motor this week and winterize. Then pull the motor and start the replacement of the transom and floor. It might go another season but I can't get rid of the thought that I know it's not right. While the floor is up I'm going to check for leaks, gluvit and replace floatation if needed. I'm not repainting it, I think a good buffing will do wanders. I want to loose the swim platform and install 4 pedestal seats. Not sure if I will put the passenger console back in yet. I can't figure out what I want to cover the floor with after sealing. I know I don't want carpet but not sure what I want to do with it. I want something simple, as maintenance free as possible and non slip. Any thoughts or suggestion on my plan or floor options? I hope to have it ready in the spring

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First of many questions I pulled the engine and am getting ready to start disassembly. I started thinking about how the interior will go together. I'm stuck on what to do about seating. I think we want 4 pedestal seats. The driver seat will be on a fixed pedestal. Can I put the other 3 on a removable, swivel type mount that's also height adjustable? My thinking is that I could remove seats to make room if neccessary or add additional based and move some around when we are fishing. Is this a good idea or should I consider a different route? Thanks

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Im probably going with a tiller motor on mine, but console isn't out of the question yet so for seating with a console I was planning on a permanent mounted seat for the console. Then the rest of my seating I was leaning on having the seat on moveable bases so I could arrange them as needed or take out completely when not needed for the trip. Ive seen 4 legged ones that look like they would work nice. Or I might just try and build my own. I like the idea of not having seats in the boat when they wont be in use.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada chads.

Nice find on the SS, she looks nice and that's a great trailer.

fetch

You'll for sure need to open up a photobucket account so you can post more pics like the one above rather than using iboats forum pic handler.

Good for you on restoring the old SS, and I;ve thought about maybe doing the same and making a conversion to something similar to the newer Superfisherman type of set up. Take a look at the new SFs to get some layout ideas for your rebuild.

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome: That's a nice looking project you've got there. I like these boats they're almost a blank slate on how you can configure the deck layout. We have 2 pedestal seats for our SS with the bow seating still in place along with a forward casting deck that is removable. This allows for solid seating with an open area at the stern for fishing.

The pedestal seats do swivel so you have to be careful when going up the lake. In big water or if you boat on a lake where you spend allot of time passing through rough water I would recommend locking swivels. Some states may even require them for the helm seat I believe.

We've thought about adding some pedestal seats in the stern that use the in deck socket that would allow for removing the seats when only the Admiral and I go fishing, I've also thought about adding a casting chair in the removable bow deck I built kind of like what you see on some bass boats. Those will probably be winter projects I start in a month or so. Benefits of boating where we do is the water stays soft almost all year, but when the weather starts to hit the mid 30's I usually am fishing solo.

Last edited:

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the comments, we are very excited with finding it. I would like to have 4 seats aft of the consoles. I think the helm will be fixed with height adjustment. The other three I would like to be removable with height adjustment and swivel. I would also like to make a removable platform for the bow area with a seat base in it. I figure if the daughter, wife and I are going fishing the platform would be nice, it could be removed when we are just heading out joy riding so someone can relax up there. I like the idea of being able to remove the seats to open up the deck when needed. My biggest problem right now is being confused pouring through all the seat options. I think I'm more confused now than when I started.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone have any experience in just painting the new deck. I've been doing some research and reading about what's out there. I'm going to epoxy resin all the wood and do not want carpet. Vinyl is an option but im not a big fan. I would like to paint the deck after sealing it with something that is durable first, non slip, and fairly easy on the feet. Does anyone have any opinions on which brand or type of paint? I understand prep work is 2/3 the battle with making it a quality job but I also want to put something down that's is dependable and has been used by others with good results. Thanks and Ill get a photo bucket account going.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quick question. There is a piece of wood screwed to the back outside the transom that the engine was bolted up too. The bolts went threw the transom also. Is this standard or was it a PO attempt to stiffen up the transom? My little car topper has the same thing so the engine clamps have a thick enough surface to mount too but I'm not sure about it on this one. I can get a pic tomorrow when I get home. I'm glad I decided to not run it, the transom is not in the best shape. Going to replace that and the floor over the winter. Oh and my daughter named it after herself, she now wants me to paint on the transom " miss Cassi". I have not even started the resto and she wants her name oon it. Haha

jbcurt00

Staff member
Miss Cassi it is then. Sooner you agree, the sooner she'll move on to something else, like choosing which shade of pink/purple or grape is just THE right shade.

Good luck

The exterior transom wood is to prevent the motor clamps from scratching up the hull. Usually just cosmetic.

New wood, cutting board or starboard plastic and 1/4" aluminum have all been used by those that want to put it back on. Others opt not to put it on.

Often though you are correct, its to supplement a weak transom.

If you like the look, put it back on: plastic, wood or aluminum

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm getting ready to redo the best transom and floors. As luck would have it I have received for free some expired by two day epoxy resin. Actually 4 gallons of it. I work in the aviation industry and when things reach dates it's thrown away. I plan to coat the underside of the floors with two coats and the top and edges with three. Does this sound right? Should I glass the transom after three coats on each side or is the resin with a coat of paint good? Is there a non slip type paint for the floors that's better than another. I don't want to have to do this again for a while if ever. Thanks and I'll start the picture process as I start.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Most just coat with epoxy and NO glass. Couple of coats of Oil Based Rustoleum Paint and you're good to go.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Rustoleum for the transom or floors or both? If on the floor is there a way to add som traction to it that might be a little easy on the bare feet?