Zerk Fitting on Axle Spindle

HHIBouy

Cadet
I need some info on my trailer it is a 1987 Classic with dual axles. On the last outing I noticed that I had some water seeping from one of the dust covers and that the hub was warm to the touch. I was starting to repack them today, when I ran into something I've never seen. I took off the tire, and then removed the dust cover to find a zerk fitting in the end of the axle, I then checked the dust cover and the center of it is a rubber gromet that you remove to get to the zerk fitting.

I have repacked many a car bearing and some trailers but I have never seen anything like this. I'm sure it's some form of bearing buddy, but all that I have seen had the zerk fitting in the dust cap.

The rest of it seems to be normal with a castle nut and cotter pin. So my questions is, is there anything speical about this system I should know before taking apart, or just put the cap on and greese the hub that way?

I just got this boat late last year so it's new to me.:confused:

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Zerk Fitting on Axle Spindle

I need some info on my trailer it is a 1987 Classic with dual axles. On the last outing I noticed that I had some water seeping from one of the dust covers and that the hub was warm to the touch. I was starting to repack them today, when I ran into something I've never seen. I took off the tire, and then removed the dust cover to find a zerk fitting in the end of the axle, I then checked the dust cover and the center of it is a rubber gromet that you remove to get to the zerk fitting.

I have repacked many a car bearing and some trailers but I have never seen anything like this. I'm sure it's some form of bearing buddy, but all that I have seen had the zerk fitting in the dust cap.

The rest of it seems to be normal with a castle nut and cotter pin. So my questions is, is there anything speical about this system I should know before taking apart, or just put the cap on and greese the hub that way?

I just got this boat late last year so it's new to me.:confused:

You have either a Sure Lube, or E-Z Lube, system...and you normally don't have to remove the hub to pack your bearings.

Here is a link to the E-Z Lube site: http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/product_flyers/E-Z_Lube_3-09.pdf

I have the Sure Lube, and I can replace my grease from the zerk fitting. I place a plastic bag in place, and pump the fresh grease in until I see the new grease:

4zut8k.jpg

Now...in your case: if you actually have water exiting the dust cap, then you may be forced to do a teardown and start all over. If you do, just make sure that you use the correct double lip grease seal...anything else will not hold up to the zerk fitting pump pressure down the road!

Happy boating!

HHIBouy

Cadet

Thanks Rocky

The EZ Lube appears to be what I have, as it does have a rubber gromet in the center of the dust cap. When you remove that you can see the zerk fitting.

Do you think I need to disassemble the one that had the water or just greese it until new comes out?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Rocky

The EZ Lube appears to be what I have, as it does have a rubber gromet in the center of the dust cap. When you remove that you can see the zerk fitting.

Do you think I need to disassemble the one that had the water or just greese it until new comes out?

I wish that I could tell from here...but!

If this were mine: I would jack up the axle so that the wheel spins free...pump some decent marine bearing grease into the zerk...spin the tire and listen to what takes place (and try to feel for any roughness). What I would be looking for is any indication that the bearing(s) have reacted to the water. And go from there....

Be sure to check the back of the hub while you are greasing...if the hub got too warm, the seal may have been ruined.

Just don't panic at this point...a little bit of grease can go a long way!

Happy boating!

HHIBouy

Cadet

Thanks agian

I have done just what you said and jacked it up to spin the wheel while lubing. All went well I pushed all of the old greese out, and spun the tire it seems fine. The only problem was it was on my brake axle and it did not spin as easy as the rear axle did.

That is one neat system, I had planned on tearing all of the wheels down and hand repacking.

I will make sure I check it on the next outting after a few miles of highway speed.