yr please,

phineas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i found a 18hp johnson at the dump today , the tag is missing, it looks a lot like my '58 but has a fiberglass hood, '60 something i think, it is stuck , but i will soak it and fiddle with it, the thing that looks like a frost plug has # 328268 on it, looking for the year, if any one could please help, it looks like i could use the fuel pump to convert mine to one line

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: yr please,

Wow. I wish I found engines at the dump!!!

Post a pic and someone will know if the data plate on the transom is not readable. The 18's were made for a while.

phineas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

whoo hoo , not siezed any more, the deep creep did it and i took off the recoil and worked the flywheel back and forth, i tested for spark and compression , and i know they are not reliable , but mine is new and they both came out at 90, then i got some water in the tank , and after much priming , and pulling, darned if it didn't start, only will run on choke, as it is dark i left it at that, pretty good for a dump run hahhaha

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wow. Even more excellent! I have 6 or 7 of the old 18's and love em all!

Post a pic and we'll see if we can ID it.

And if it only runs with choke on then it's getting fuel starved and the carb is partially clogged. Take it off and clean it, put a carb kit in it and you'll be good to go. Ideally you'll want to change the lower unit oil and change the impeller also and then it'll run for a long time to come.

BTW, in my area you can get $400 or so for a good running fibreglass hooded 18hp.

phineas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

right on with the fuel starved but in the dark i squeezed the fuel bulb with out it running and heard a hiss, and it started and died, and i primed it and it started and i kept priming it and it ran then died , so in the day i will look but i bet i have a cracked or insecure fuel line under the front to the carb, i love getting free stuff, specially when i am just getting into these old ones, or any of them, thanks for you help , i will take a pic soon

phineas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i think it is a '61 the serial number is 328268, thanks