You know it's a crowded lock when.....

wrench 3

Commander
photo256955.jpg I was going through last summers holiday pictures and came across this one. You know that they've got you packed in tight when the boater in front of you is using your bow rail as an arm rest.

Attachments

• attach10322353.jpg
    attach10322353.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Cool pic. They sure didn't leave any open real estate....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Saw thatnkinda thing after the airplane day or whatever its called in seattle. The locked headed out of lake washingtong were packed

alldodge

Staff member
Been though the locks at Mcalpine where a couple of us where in front of a 3 wide empty barge set. The barge hovered slightly above us as we were brought up.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Judging by the railing atop the lock im guessing this a NYSCC,.. most times these days they are pretty empty, except during an event,.. I locked through from Albany NY to Whitehall VT in mid August barely seeing another boat, but then during last years Tugboat Roundup in Waterford I saw some FULL locks!

alldodge

Staff member
Just noticed something, your not wearing life jackets. Been through locks from Louisville down the Ohio to Cumberland, thru KY lake, and down the Tom Bixby water way, and every lock master requires all boaters handling the boat locking to wear vest. Only ones that do not are the ones inside the cabin.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
No life jackets required in NYS Canal System,.... except children under 40pnds, they must have life jackets on at all times.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Interesting pic, wrench3 . Trent-Severn by chance? It was there that I learned to try to let rental-boaters go in the lock FIRST!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In Canada, where OP is from, the law only requires that the jackets be on board.

wrench 3

Commander
Yep, Trent-Severn. It was one of the five lock string coming up out of lake Simcoe. You don't see many house boats through there. The rental companies tell them to stay out of lake Simcoe.
I saw one run into a 35' cruiser that was tied to the wall above the Fenelon Falls lock. They had an insurance adjuster there in twenty minutes. I think they keep them on speed dial!

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
In Canada, where OP is from, the law only requires that the jackets be on board.

And where they won't block out the lockmaster's view of the bikinis scrambling to reach lines on deck.

wrench 3

Commander
I found a picture of the Fenelon Falls lock on a busy summer afternoon. TSW-Locks.jpg

Locking through there tends to be a spectator sport.