Year on this Evinrude??

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Looking to buy this, other 40hp has a bad head, Looking to figure out what year it is? He claims it late 80's -> early 90's, he cannot read the serial number, it's damaged.

Attachments

• photo234726.jpg
    photo234726.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Model number will tell the year...

But no serial number is a BIG problem. You can't get a title and in most states they will assume its a stolen engine.

On some you can find the serial number stamped on the "freeze plugs" put over some of the bolts holding the engine crankcase together.

Others may know of more places to look for it... You NEED a serial number or do not buy except as scrap to use for parts.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
It has a serial number, it is just badly damaged he said, it is the sticker kind he said. Im In MA, Boats under 14ft dont need a Title, so il be fine. Just curious to know what year it is.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Go to BRP website, there is a tab to contact them by email. Send then the number on the welch plug and they can and will provide you with the info you need.
Had to do that with an engine I bought that had been painted over in camo. Not only did I get an email response but I also received a phone call from a real person.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Go to BRP website, there is a tab to contact them by email. Send then the number on the welch plug and they can and will provide you with the info you need.
Had to do that with an engine I bought that had been painted over in camo. Not only did I get an email response but I also received a phone call from a real person.

That's good customer service!

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer

Thats why I love Evinrudes ;) Thanks for the help