Yammi C90 stuck in gear

capthobo

Cadet
My C90 made a funny suond when shifting to reverse, likike clicking noise before full engagement. Then when i tried to go back to nuetral ,it was stuck.<br />It's not the linkage it's jammed in the lower unit, becase I disconnected the linkage and even tried vise grips on the shift rod above the cavitation plate. Whats Stuck Up? :confused:

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yammi C90 stuck in gear

Hopefully your problem isn't a bad one down in the gearcase. Just so you know it can happen, my Suzuki once did something similiar following some repair work I did. The motor got stuck in reverse. After I got it home I was checking it out and found a missing 10mm socket jammed under the linkage lever under the bottom carb. :rolleyes:

Capt Ken

Commander

Well, ya didn't mention the year of that C90 but if its a 92 or older, you just twisted off the shift shaft going to the lower unit. The pre 92 models used a regular steel shaft going from the engine down to the lower unit and they have a habit of rusting in half just above the lower unit. Go ahead and drop the foot and you'll probably pull part of the shift shaft out with it. Problem is, the shaft installs from the topsides, so the powerhead will have to be removed to install a new one. Don 't go dragging it to someone not familiar with Yamaha's. They'll tear the lower down, step back and scratch their heads and exclaim, beats me as to whats wrong but the bill is $500 anyway.

capthobo

Cadet

OK Capt.<br />The year is a 1997, and there is no rust present on the shaft assy. By moving the prop shaft Iv'e managed to move the shifter mech. to the nuetral detent, but the prop makes a cliking noise when it should be in nuetral. I think the last owner did a pump job on it ,and didn't get the alighnment right when reasembled. I think I'll have to split the bottom and check allignment procedure for the shifter rod.