Yamaha vs mercury

skicat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to buy a 22' pontoon and have my choice of outboards. Having no experience in outboard motors, I am looking for all the help I can get. All help and or suggestions would be appreciated.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha vs mercury

Find a good dealer and buy what he sells. There really isn't too much difference in performace or reliability between brands. Of course, don't compare 2 strokes against 4 strokes. HP for HP most two strokes will blow the doors off of any 4 stroke. As for emissions the new DFI 2 strokes are as clean or cleaner than a lot of 4 strokes. They have better CARB ratings. Plus you don'thave to deal with oil changes, except for the gearcase.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Had to make the same decision a few months ago, finally went with the bigfoot (4stroke efi), after sales service won me over. As far as build quality I think they are on a par although the yam is a bit quieter. <br /><br />So far I logged 45 hrs and used 100 litres - not to shabby.<br /><br />Aldo

D

DJ

Support and service should be your decision point. Almost all the makers offer comparable engines.<br /><br />For a "toon" I like the "bigfoots". The larger gearcase and subsequent handling are indeed a plus.

skicat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The dealers I have talked to, seem to be steering me towards a 2-cycle. What are the pros and cons of 2 vs 4 cycle?

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Uh oh, here we go....<br /><br />My advice to you would be to use the search function and check out some of the dialogue that has been debated here several times. There are strong feelings on both sides- there area definate advantages and disadvantages to each. It depends on what you value, your pocketbook,what kind of boat you are putting it on, how you are going to use it, and the quality of your local dealer as what you choose. That probably makes it clear as mud for you, but this has been debated here a million times...

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />A 22" pontoon boat is probably rated for at least 70 hp, maybe 90 hp or even more. But You probably will be just fine with 60 hp or so.<br /><br />If money is no problem then a 4-stroke "high thrust" from Mercury or Yamaha is natural choice. Quite, fuel efficient, very good force and EFI(always easy starting regardless if cold weather or not and low fuel consumtion of course).<br />Can't go wrong with that, can You?<br /><br />Yamaha F50 or F60 EFI High Thrust:<br /> http://www.yamaha-motor.com/product...=2005&cat=Four+Stroke+Series&scat=High+Thrust <br /><br />Mercury F50 EFI BigFoot:<br /> http://www.mercurymarine.com/mercury_50_efi_bigfoot_fourstroke <br /><br />Mercury F60 EFI BigFoot:<br /> http://www.mercurymarine.com/mercury_60_efi_bigfoot_fourstroke <br /><br />Any of the 60 hp 4-stroke above is probably the better choice on a 22" pontoon boat but a 50 hp should will work also. Check the pontoon boat manufacturer for recommended outboards and performance charts.<br /><br />If You want a 3-star rated, fuel efficient, quiet 2-stroke You can have a look at Evinrude E-tech, but they do not have these special "high thrust" versions for pontoon boats as far as I know so...<br />You have the Mercury Optimax also, 75 hp is the lowest hp, if you want a modern direct fuel injection 2-stroke, 3-star rated etc, but same here - no special high thrust version. <br /><br />Good luck!

skicat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bo, you were very helpful. What do you think of going with a higher HP mercury 4-stroke?<br />I was thinking maybe 175. I want to be able to pull skiiers with a boat full.

bossee

Hi,<br />First, what exact pontoon boat is it You are planning to buy? (Make and model)<br />I'm not sure it is wise to cruise along too fast with all pontoon boats. Some are suited for it I'm sure but some are for sure made for low cruise speed only or at least higher speed in smooth water only (not to high waves).<br />A 175 hp outboard seems a little on the overpowered side on a 22" pontoon boat even with max persons onboard and a skier. What is the max hp the pontoon boat You are interested in is rated for?<br /><br />Regarding 175 hp, Mercury have the Optimax then (2-stroke, Direct fuel injection, 2-star rated).<br />Personally I would probably select a 4-stroke for a pontoon boat, and if You really want this much hp I would have a look at a Yamaha instead, the Yamaha F150 4-stroke (it has EFI, is 3-star rated and is among the best, if not the best, 150 hp 4-stroke today).<br /><br /> http://www.yamaha-motor.com/product...r=2005&cat=Four+Stroke+Series&scat=High+Power <br /><br />I have a Yamaha F115 4-stroke myself (not on a pontoon boat) and I like it alot.<br />If I where to buy a 150 hp 4-stroke the Yamaha F150 would be high on the list of outboards I would consider then.

skicat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a 22 foot Bennington tri-toon and hp rated up to 175.

dsrchamp04

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my first choice would be mercury....then mercury and after that...mercury..and if nothing else..a mercury... :D :D :D :D :D

bossee

Hi,<br />I do not know the exact model of Bennington 22" pontoon boat You think of but if it is this:<br /> http://www.boatinglifemag.com/article_content.jsp?ID=9801 <br /><br />Then a Yamaha F150 will be just fine as You can read. OK, they write ..."evening cruiser with a crew of 14 or an exciting water-sports boat with loads of six to eight..."<br />I think that can be a good compromise with a F150 after all, 13 onboard and a skier will probably work also although probably little slow to accelerate, that would be my best guess. It would then need high RPM and drink rather much fuel with 13 onboard and pulling a skier but I guess You have already thought about that.<br />Notice that they mention hydralic steering in the above article. Make sure You get that with a large outboard like 150 hp or more.<br /><br />I checked Bennington homepage at http://www.benningtonmarine.com and they have rather many pontoons to choose from... (RLX, R, FS, LX or Bennington II Series)<br /><br />Also check the performance bulletins at Bennington homepage.

bossee

Hi,<br />Whatever outboard You select for Your Bennington pontoon boat, please post back here later and tell us how You think the pontoon boat behaved with both light load and full load (max persons onboard) including pulling a skier.

fireman57

Captain

The only problem I see with the 2 strokes are eventually the left coast is going to get the government to outlaw them and go to the 4 stroke because of the enviroment. Information on the new pollution laws due to be passed aroung 2006 are sketchy at best. I still love my 2 strokes.

skicat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ended up going with the 175HP Optimax Mercury. It will be on a 22' Bennington Pontoon.<br />Delivery should be in about 4-6 weeks. I will let you all know about the performance when I get it on the lake. Thanks to all!