Yamaha trim oil replacement

cj7ole

Seaman
1999 Yamaha 130 hp 2 stroke Saltwater.

Raising the unit, as it hits the tilt cylinder, it sounded like barnacles scraping off. Then it stuck at full tilt. After an Internet search I realized it might be low on fluid and/or needs bleeding. When I removed the fill plug, air vented out, but I could not get it to take much fluid. I closed the plug and I could now lower the unit. Still the cavitation noise when raising. So I removed the plug with it partially trimmed and frothy white/brown oil came out. My conclusion is that it needs bleeding and might have contaminated oil. I really don't have the time or inclination for a rebuild at this time. But I would like to change out as much ATF as possible after 14 years and 500 hours of operation. After looking at the parts schematic I am thinking of raising the motor, engaging the tilt lock and removing the reservoir by pulling 3 screws. Looks like an o-ring seals it to the main unit. At that point I could simply drain and replace and refill the reservoir using fresh fluid, then go through the bleed procedure. But then I am thinking that if I lower the unit slowly, I could push the oil out of the 3 cylinders also. Then by squirting oil in the reservoir while lifting the motor, or using a clear hose connecting the fill nipple to a quart of ATF, I would avoid sucking more air into the system. Then go through the normal bleed procedure. Will this work?

As far as bleeding I see 2 schools of thought: first is to just use the pump to cycle the motor up and down, while the second says to do it manually as the pump will just froth whatever air is in the system into the oil, making it harder to remove.