Yamaha Shift Problem

BadgerXXX

Cadet
1998 Yamaha 150 HP 2 stroke<br /><br />When shifting to forward it gives you that grind like you did not shift crisp. Once in forward it stays and runs fine. Shen shifting to reverse it is harder to get into gear and tends to pop out at times. <br />I am thinking the clutch dog is shot and replacing the lower unit will fix the problem. I am pretty sure the clutch dog is difficult to get to and requires special tools? <br />Mostly I want to make sure this can't be some sort of shift cable problem? I dont want to put a new lower on and have the same problems.<br /><br />Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha Shift Problem

then you will have to test further.<br /> with the gearcase submerged dissconnect the shift linkage from the shift slide and operate the slide by hand.<br /> how much metal is on the magnet on the drain plug?<br /> most shift issues are bad cables,worn shifters and misadjusted cables that create shift clutch issues.

BadgerXXX

Cadet

Boat has to go in the water for this or can you do it in the yard with ear muffs?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

in the water<br /> out of water tests are meaningless as there is no load. anything will work on the muffs.<br />however visual inspections for worn,broken or misadjusted parts can be done with no muffs and on a trailer.

BadgerXXX

Cadet

Thanks..<br />Visual inspection there appears to be no problems with cables etc. Tomarow I will put it in the water and see if it shifts better by hand. What I can't understand is how a mis adjusted cable can effect shift in both directions? Stretch?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

how can a simple clutch affect both positions as the dogs for fwd and rev are on opposite ends of the clutch.<br /> could also be a worn shift cam or cam follower. eliminate the exteral issues then pull the gearcase.

BadgerXXX

Cadet

Thanks Rodbolt. Was not aware there was 2 clutch dogs on the shaft. <br /><br />OK I fired it up on the trialer with earmuffs in an effort to eliminate the cables.<br /><br />Engine Idle is 800 RPM's<br /><br /> As usual it grinds in both directions going into gear no matter how fast you snap it into gear.<br /><br />Then I disconected the cable and shifted by hand on the starboard side of the motor. Same deal. Grinds both ways no matter how fast you snap it. <br />Am I correct in assuming I should look at the gearcase now?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

most likly.<br /> the clutch is double ended. its a mechanical slam shift type set up.<br /> if the motor has seen much saltwater cut the spanner nut off with a 1.4" drill. I use the bullet point ones because they drill a relativly flat hole and dont walk.<br />you will need a puller to remove the carrier, the yamaha ones are not worth the effort, I use the J bolt style from OMC. once the shift rod is removed from the case the carrier removed, the reverse gear and bearing if it stuck in the case can be removed with the prop shaft.<br />if any gears need replacing its time for anothjer lower or purchasing some expensive tools to shim the new gears. just a shift clutch will not require any shimming but if the gear doga are rounded the gear will be bad.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

privateer <br /> thanks:)<br /> keep me straight baby keep me straight<br /> actually I should have said a 1/4" drill bit.<br /> badger<br /> for giggles carefully inspect the shift shaft at the section just above the midseaction and below the lower mount.<br /> by 95 the shift shaft issue had been resolved but anything is possible.<br />however if its jumping outta gear you will still need to inspect the gears and clutch.

easygo0

Seaman

Rodbolt does shift shaft have to be removed in order to pull prop shaft and bearing carrier,have same problem,but want to replace bent prop shaft and new prop shaft seals