Yamaha Ring Free vs SeaFoam?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha Ring Free vs SeaFoam?

Ring Free is an additive to prevent carbon from sticking. SeaFoam is a solvent made to remove carbon, etc. Better to prevent than to clean. When you clean, the crud works it's way through the motor.

avirex7823

Cadet

I agree with Willy. I run a '86 Yamaha ProV 150 on a Skeeter, and it never has had a nut turned on the engine. It's always had Ring-Free ran in it from day one when it was new. I can look into the spark plugs holes and see all the pistons tops are very clean.. no carbon build-up at all. It's expensive, but, it will save your engine from the repair shop.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It's okay to run either, but don't run both at the same time. Use one additive at a time. Depending on the hours on your motors already, you might want to SeaFoam it first. Ring Free prevents carbon, but doesn't remove existing carbon. I'd say decarbonize first. Maybe a tank or two with SeaFoam followed by regular use of Ring Free.

Avirex, you might be okay discontinuing. TCW-3 is TCW-2 plus the ring-free additive. That was the big upgrade. :) (But it certainly can't hurt to continue. ;))