Yamaha f90tlr bogging

phillipcgp

Recruit
hi all. ive recently obtained a pontoon with a 2006 90 yam 4 stroke. done water pump rebuild, oil change, lower gear oil. fuel filter change, fuel line ball replaced. boat starts instantly, idles great and for hours if left. ramps up on land with ears on and stays. problem is in the water, once i go past higher than 2k rpm it will bog down back to 2k and not go back above. if i turn engine off, restart i can run full throttle, or anything in between there and 2k, and after around 20 seconds, it bogs down until i throttle back to 2k then smoothes out and will not go back above 2k again. any ideas?

ncfishhawk

Cadet
i had a similar problem to this due to the inside of the fuel line collapsing. there was a clear liner on the inside of the hose that would suck together when under throttle much more than idle. ran fine in the yard even when i would throttle it up but under a load just would not go. it was a gray colored replacement i hose i got to replace the original hose that was failing. i'm pretty sure ethanol was the reason it failed.

phillipcgp

Recruit
I was thinking it was fuel related. Someone else told me probably the injectors were dirty and it was tripping a code, thats why it runs for a bit after i restart it. Im hoping to tear the fuel system apart this weekend, but will be going about it blindly as that ive got no outboard experience at all. i can rip a small block apart in seconds, but the boating world is new to me.

ncfishhawk

Cadet
the factory manual will be your best friend. they are expensive on the first cost but will save you a lot of money over the years. also i had some stuttering on my carburated 4 stroke when i first got it. i did the seafoam treatment you read a lot about on here. it knocked the stuttering out. i mixed a whole can in a gallon of gas and stuck the fuel hose in it. i carried the boat to a ramp so i could give it some throttle under load (on the trailer) and run about half of that mix thru and then shut it down. let it sit till the next day then fired back up. it hacked, coughed, smoked and when it finally caught its breath run very nice. the true test was putting in the water. i use seafoam at every tank fill

Last edited: