Yamaha F90 no water at telltail

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2003 f90 4stroke outboard. We noticed last weekend that there is nothing coming out of the telltail .New water pump beginning of the season and pumped great with a strong tell tail. I am thinking something is clogged because 2 weeks ago we were blown onto a sanbar hard and took awhile to get off of it. So I am assuming I sucked up a bunch of sand. The motor does not overheat and runs great but noting comes out of the telltail. Any ideas where to start? I heard that some of the Yamaha's have fuel and rectifier coolers that can clog. Is this true on my motor?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
My first guess would be a dirt dauber or other critter made a nest within the tell tale exit port. Start there. Try running some stiff heavy line up the tube to see if there is a restriction to flow..

One can hear most anything on the innerweb. Your F90 has carburetors. An air cooled regulator/rectifier.

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
My first guess would be a dirt dauber or other critter made a nest within the tell tale exit port. Start there. Try running some stiff heavy line up the tube to see if there is a restriction to flow..

One can hear most anything on the innerweb. Your F90 has carburetors. An air cooled regulator/rectifier.
Thanks for the info. I will try that. But just to set the record straight before someone else does , I most defintly have fuel injection.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
After you confirm the pisser tube is clear drop the lower unit to check the impeller.

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry for the repley of not carbs. The mistake is on my end. The year is not a 2003 it is a 2013 . Sorry for the typo

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
After you confirm the pisser tube is clear drop the lower unit to check the impeller.
I can but I seriously doubt its the impeller since it is recently new and pumped strong and I have no overheat issues.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
If you sucked in a lot of sand it may have damaged the impeller. Do you have an air compressor? If so blow air thru the water tubes.

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you sucked in a lot of sand it may have damaged the impeller. Do you have an air compressor? If so blow air thru the water tubes.
Yes I do have a compressor. What I should have stated in the first remarks is that we ran the boat the weekend after the mishap on the sandbar with no issues. Only thing is that I honestly cannot remember if the telltail was passing water or not. It was noticed 2 weeks after the mishap when my son had it out. Im ashamed to say I always do not check that it is passing water. The motor is always trouble free so I get complacent.