Yamaha F150 -Tilt

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Another guy I know who has the same motor came up with a question I couldn't answer, imagine that ! When the motor tilts down, there is a "pinch point" where the motor bracket engages the clamp area, the motor binds when it hits this and slows the descent. Same thing when you tilt the motor up, it is very slow going up at first because of this binding, but once it clears the clamp it goes up quite fast. Question is, is it supposed to do this and if so why. Its quite a drain on the battery in cold weather because of the time it takes to lift the motor from from the down position..... Sherm

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha F150 -Tilt

That is the point where the tilt takes over going out and the trim coming in. Normal.

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I figured that, but the reason being?? Just seems to be alot of extra binding and wear on components. If that "binding" were not there the trim/tilt would work much smoother and faster, especially in winter!! Sherm

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

their are no "pinch" points on that motor. if its actually binding its broke,get it fixed.
its mostly due to the size of the pistons and the valving and porting of the hydraulic passages.
trim is just that its trim. tilt is just that its tilt.
but its not supposed to actually rub on the bracket supports. if yours is its broke, get it fixed.
sometimes you will hear a scraping sound as the tips of the trim ram wipe over the wear pads on the swivel bracket, if it does try a bit of grease on the trim ram tips.

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, it is definitely rubbing on one side which causes it to slow down, I'll have to get that checked out then!! Thanks............Sherm