Yamaha F115 Fuel Filter Question

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings all,<br />I just picked up a 23' walkaround with new twin 2005 F115 Yamahas. There is no fuel filter/water separator (spin off type) installed, just the little filters on the motors. <br /><br />should I install a Sierra kit with the spin off filter at the tank side? I don't want to take any unnecessary chances with new motors.<br /><br />thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yamaha F115 Fuel Filter Question

Good thinking, Pat.<br /><br />I consider a water seperating fuel filter between the tank and the primer(s) a mandatory item on any 4 stroke, but particularly on EFI 4 strokes.

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it worth going with the Yamaha setup that I can hook to my fuel mgmt gauge? It sounds like you get some indication at the gauge if it detects water?<br /><br />thanks again.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you can use either the filter set up with the alarm or the 10 micron yamaha one. the racor works just make sure you have the 10 micron element.
the last filter the fuel sees before entering the combustion chamber is about 10 micron, each injector has a filter as well as a filter inside the VST and a filter on the engine itself. trick is to stop the nasties outside the engine hood.

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rodbolt,
I went with the Yamaha setup. I put in a 90 gal/hr unit as they didn't have the 60 on the shelf. I hooked it into my fuel mgmt gauge harness and I'm good to go.

BTW, I'm truly impressed with the fuel economy. 9.5 gals/hr at 23MPH. on a 23' walkaround with a hard top. That is a huge improvement over my old Grady White with the 460 ford motor...yikes. I love these engines.