Yamaha 30-F prop pitch change?

JP Richmond

Recruit
On prop selection, Here's what I have to deal with, and why I'm thinking of a pitch change:

Polarkraft 1668 jon with Yamaha 30LF tiller steer, both 1989 models.

Boat, with added weight of "fix-ups" is 380 lbs., 515 lbs with (135 lb) motor.

Typically, there are 2 of us on board, adding 350 lbs, 400 with gear, so now we're at 900-plus lbs. total

We pull a tube in creeks a lot, sometimes put in at Beaufort NC and cross choppy Shackleford Slough to Shackleford Banks, inland side. We often have 4 on board (total 1250 lbs), but after last Saturday will probably not have one of them on the tube! That's when the prop spun, after we'd (30 min. earlier) snagged (hard) something in the water.

The Yamaha book specs a 9'7/8" dia. x 11-1/4" pitch, but the motor is also spec'd for a 12 and 13 pitch. The previous owner put a (now spun) 13 pitch on it. He was usually fishing alone and never pulled with it.

One chart I found spec?s the 13-pitch only for up to a 15? boat versus our 16', but I don?t know how accurate that source is. We want another aluminum prop, considering the (shallow, messy) places we sometimes take the boat.

I thought we'd be well-served to reduce the pitch to a 12. Seems I'd get better pulling power without losing speed. Thing is, we don't have a tach, and rpm's seem to be a big deal in choosing a prop. I don't really understand the relationship between a change in pitch and speed, rpm's, pulling power, hole shot, ....

Any suggestions? Thanks, John Pride

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 30-F prop pitch change?

If you read the stickies at the top of the page and the helps on the prop store page it will help you understand better.Lower pitch numbers or like the loewr gear in a car,higher numbers like higher gears.In selecting a prop your picking a single gear to do everthing so there are comprimises.The question is how did the motor perform with the 13.Assuming a sound well tuned motor;if it was sluggish then a pitch reduction is in order.Just keep in mind it may over rev with a light load.
Without the max rpm and speed you don't know if your setup is right.
A tinytach is about $47 and easy to install.A gps for speed.You could be wasting fuel and time and over time causing premature motor repairs.