Yamaha 225 lower unit help

MAKO72

Seaman
I just salvaged a 2000 yamaha 225 from the marina where I work. The motor is in good shape with even compression but the lower unit needs help. The motor will go in forward and reverse but there is no neutral it just grinds from forward to reverse. The fluid was milky from water and there were metal filings on the plug. I am pretty good with mechanics but have never done anything in a lower unit except change the impeller. Would I need any special tools? What parts may I be replacing all or just a few. Is it orth it in savings to do it myself. Can you recommend a book or website with good schematics. Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 225 lower unit help

hello<br /> that 225 should be a 3.1L <br /> to dissasemble the case will require a few tools. if you have a damaged v4/v6 yam crank you can cut off the splined end and weld a socket to it and make your own drive shaft holding tool. dissasemble the unit and inspect for damage.<br /> to replace the gear set will require some shimming fixtures. thats when it gets expensive. as far as books go nothimng beats the shop service manual from yamaha. you can see about all the damage by removing the propshaft assy and bearing carrier.