Yamaha 150HP vs. 200HP? Anyone driven a 150 vs 200?

gsxr150

Seaman
Hello, my wife and I are purchasing a 23" Tritoon, and we have a choice of the Yamaha F150 or the F200. So far I'm hearing that both engines will feel the same from 0-30. It sounds like maybe I'll get 5 MPH more on the top end - but the extra cost is $3,000. Would you spend that kind of money for an "extra" 50HP?

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What's the max HP engine transom rated for ? If 200 HP, much better going top as to transport the max passengers or load stated under boat tech specs. If used medium loaded or with less than max stated passengers go for the 150 HP, you can always maximize prop to achieve near or max wot rpm stated for that engine. You decide.

Happy Boating

gsxr150

Seaman
I can go up to 250HP... I think 150 would be plenty for 30MPH or so, and a decent hole-shot. It's just do I want to spend 3k more, or is it worth it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Will depend entirely on mumber of max passengers or load you intend to take. Full passengers with top performance max HP, Less passengers with good performance 200 HP, Much less passengers with good performance 150 HP. Will be good to know for how much passengers the boat is rated for, and the max you intend to trasport. Let's say a family of 4 members-

As an exapmle my boat is rated for max X HP to transport 7 passengers, currently using 1/2 of it's max HP rated for and only transporting max 3 total boaters. Performs excellent, if adding one more heavy boater will be lugging the engine at wot. With just 3 right in middle, between min-max wot rpm factorry stated for that engine.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
In reality, speed rarely is the difference between good and bad performance. What matters is do you have the HP when you most need it......

You can gear a tractor trailer to go 65 mph with a 6 cylinder gas engine. You can gear the same truck to haul max freight weight but....it will not perform well in either situation. Your also compromising your resale value. Nobody wants an under powered, or "adequately" powered boat.

gsxr150

Seaman
That is one thing we're thinking about...perhaps when the time comes to sell, my boat will still be worth $1500 more with the 200 vs the 150. At least 1/2 of what we paid in 3-5 years.