Yamaha 115hp - good for how many years?

whiteman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2001 Yamaha 115 Saltwater Series 2-stroke. It clocks about 70 hours per year with an annual service. How long can I expect to run this motor? At what point (how many hours/years) do these things need a major overhaul?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 115hp - good for how many years?

Hello<br /> wow 70 hours a year. almost sounds like neglect will kill it .<br /> I see way to many boats that sit all the time. fuel system components and cooling system componts fail and cause Major mechanical failures.I have been repairing outboards about 25 years now and I think I may have actually seen 2 wear out. The rest were killed by another subsystem failure. usually carbs and cooling. every other year replace the entire water pump kit. every 3rd year replace/rebuild the fuel pump and flush the fuel bowls. every water pump replacement do the t-stats and pressure valve grommet as well. use a good quality water/fuel seperator that can flow at least 30 gallons per hour. and never ever use fuel more than 2 months old, 6 months if it was fresh when treated with a stabilizer.if it is oil injected clean the remote tank and change the filter annually and do the same with the engine tank. drain the engine tank water trap at least annually I like twice per year.and if you are going to not use the boat for 30 days fog the engine before you leave it. keeps the shiney metal inside from rusting.I drill small holes(1/8") in the airbox so I can fog them without removing the airbox on a few of my customers rarley used motors. I have one with a grady 30ft marlin with a pair of 250's that runs about 20 hours a year and its a nightmare. check the condition of the gearcase oilbefore leaving it for an extended period and change it once a year at least.the 115 yamaha was and is an excellent workhorse motor. <br />Good luck and post back with any questions :) as far as hours go the motor will run thousands unless something kills it.

whiteman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Yamaha 115hp - good for how many years?

Rodbolt<br /><br />Thanks for the reply. I only get time to go boating on weekends and as I live on the Coral Sea in North Queensland, inside the Great Barrier Reef, we have this small thing called "wind" which stops me going out at every available time. No bays to explore around here. 24km (miles?) to the nearest islands. 20-30 knots on exposed ocean is no fun in a 5.3m boat! So 70 hours a year is good for a recreation boat! I still get plenty of fish though.<br /><br />It's somewhat reassuring to know I don't need to buy a new motor every 10 or so years, assuming I keep it maintained.