Y Pipe Shot..is through hull exhaust an option?

JoeRJGR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK..to make a long story short...1984 Chris Craft Scorpion was "gifted" to me 3 years ago..it spend many years in storage, so its in great shape for its age, but after 3 years I am ready to move on. The Y pipe is shot at the very bottom and the boat is taken on water.

Can I plug the exhaust bellows and do a through hull exhaust? I honestly just went to get through the season since I already paid for my slip...

I know its crazy, but I really don't have the time to pull the motor and the drive to replace the Y pipe, certainly not this season.. The other option is to throw it on Craig's list and sell it for $2,000 less then what its probably worth...

Let me know your thoughts....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The boat can't be at the slip or it would be at the bottom with a holed Y pipe.

It would take less time to replace the Y pipe and probably less dough than doing a through hull exhaust.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
That old of a boat and a "cancered" Y-Pipe, means that you probably have a rotten transom too. Major expenses and headaches!!!!!! Trust me! I feel your pain!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Last Y pipe I did took less than 3 hours total. It is a 15 minute job to pull a drive and not much more than an hour to pull a drive if you have a way of lifting it. Crazy to think you can do a through hull in less time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull drive, pull motor, swap y-pipe, drink a beer
install motor, align motor, install drive, drink a few beers.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
There's less than a day's work in pulling the engine and fitting a new pipe. There about a week to fit through hull exhaust, and then there's the noise to live with :facepalm: and to do it properly, you should pull the engine anyway... Plugging the exhaust at the bellows? Yeah, NO. That's just asking for trouble... Likely send the boat to the bottom...

Chris...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Even if you went with thru hull you still need to remove the Y pipe and install the block off plate inside

JoeRJGR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
3 hours? Really? I know I could do it, I've swap motors and transmissions in cars plenty of times....I just don't have the time right now...
im getting qoute 2k plus... Transom is solid..

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Pulling a boat motor is easier than pulling a motor in a car

achris

More fish than mountain goat
3 hours? Really? .....

Really. I can have my engine out and on a stand in 2 hours, and that includes pulling the drive. And that's me working by myself, in a shed with none of the niceties of things like gantry lifts or big work areas. As I lift the engine I have to use my tow vehicle to move the boat back and forth as the engine comes up out of the engine bay. I think it's 4 times I have to jump down and move the car, then jump back up and lift the engine a little higher.

Chris.......

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Last time I did it, I had just installed the new motor and pinched the o-ring for the Y-pipe. I leaked like crazy when I did initial fire up. I had the motor back out, the o-ring replaced, and all back together running in under 2 hours. I own a tractor with a bucket that fits just right to lift the motor. And since I had just done the job I knew what tools to use and exactly what bolts and wires to remove. It would take under 3 hours if I had to do it tomorrow.

JoeRJGR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have to do it in a boat yard..but I guess I'll start researching this now..

Thanks guys

Scott Danforth

Staff member
boat yards have a-frame hoists..... your golden