WTO buzzer and fuel gauge connected???

januarysails

Seaman Apprentice
After searching forums about a buzzer and check engine light when I power up, I thought I may have an air leak in fuel line. I replaced all lines and the fuel water seperater, while at it removed the fuel sensor in the tank in hopes it would fix my non working fuel guage. The sensor float seemed to move free, so I put it back. The guage worked! Now to test the buzzer..... I put her up on plane and the buzzer sounded again. By the time I made it back to the dock, the fuel gauge was, again, stuck.

Could this somehow be connected? If so... Now What?! If not.... Now What?!

At this point anything would help. I have a 1997 200Ocean Pro. I foolishly had the VRO replaced over the summer only to find I "also" need 2 carbs rebuilt.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: WTO buzzer and fuel gauge connected???

what sound is the buzzer making. i would guess fuel restriction.
J/E Alarms

low oil alarm is a beep every 30 seconds. beep......................beep...................

no oil alarm is a beep every 1/2 second or so.beep,beep,beep

overheat alarm is a constant beep.beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The "Check Engine" indicator means that you have a vacuum in the fuel line. This is usually caused by a restriction. Sources of this restriction are antisiphon valve, clogged primer bulb, fuel filters or clogged fuel lines.

I would first replace the fuel filters, to see if that fixes it. Next check and remove the antisiphon valve and see if that fixes it. Finally check/replace the fuel primer and lines.

januarysails

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys... It is a constant beeeep for about 30 seconds then stops and light stays on. This site is loadedwith information!!! I found the check fuel system thread and I hope you're right about restriction. I replaced lines and fuel water filter. This weekend I'll have a go at the fuel filters and try the anti valve.

Is it possible that the fuel gauge is affected by the vacum? Or is this wishfull thinking?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I would think the fuel gauge problem is not related. Normally fuel guage issues are electrical. make sure the ground on the tank is good and the sender connections are clean and tight. Ditto for the guage itself.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The fuel gauge and the alarm you are hearing are definitely NOT related. These are two totally separate systems. In fact the fuel gauge has nothing whatsoever to do with the engine. It is part of the boat wiring system. Because the float arm is moving freely, that does not mean the sender is working. The arm moves a slider across a resistance element that provides from 40 - 240 ohms of resistance. I suspect the slider is worn. If the wiring checks out then replacement of the sender is in order.