wrong stator

stratos150xp

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 88 evinrude 150, my stator went bad, i have a new cdi stator available, part number 173-3117, the correct part number for my motor is 173-3668. The look identical and have the same wires, both are 35 amp...my question is what could go wrong by using this stator? Will it run bad,? the voltage outputs are the same to the power pack and rectifier...the unit in question is the stator required for an 86 evinrude 200 if that makes a difference. Thanks for your input....

stratos150xp

Seaman Apprentice
Re: wrong stator

I did, spent 30 mins listening to him explain how my ignition system worked, and a sales pitch on a dva adapter, but he had no answer for my question i was calling about......nice guy though, talked to me like he knew me for 30 years.....

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Does your 150 fire every 90 degrees of rotation ?------Does the 200 fire every 60 degrees of rotation ??------You need to ask them that fact.

daselbee

Commander

Does your 150 fire every 90 degrees of rotation ?------Does the 200 fire every 60 degrees of rotation ??------You need to ask them that fact.

^^^^Wouldn't have anything to do with it. These two different V6s fire every 60 degrees, 6 times in a full revolution.
Timer base controls when sparks occur, not stator. Stator merely generates voltages.

I looked up your two stators in question on Evinrude.com. It looks like the 88 stator does not come with the rubber boots installed, but the 86 stator has them installed.

If all physical measurements are the same, the absence of the rubber boots could account for the different part numbers. It could be that simple.

CDI replacement parts are often not exactly like the original OMC part, and could very well have the rubber boots installed on both stator models.

I would measure the timerbase clearance carefully, check the pin wiring match in the rubber boots, check the mounting holes, check the overall height...etc, etc, etc, and if all looks equal, try it.

It MIGHT not gen the same voltages tho. The looper flywheel magnets vs. the crossflow flywheel magnets could be of a different strength, or one of the differences might be in the number of wire turns on each of the charge coils.

If it fits, and won't grind against the underside of the flywheel, I would try it at least. You won't hurt anything electrically.

stratos150xp

Seaman Apprentice

Well thanks for the reply daselbee, the timer base between the two motors is different. And im not sure bout the flywheel. Heres the deal, i had a problem with intermittant spark on the star bank...and no charge on the batteries. ...through a little diagnosing i came down to the stator......i bought a stator, which was told it was tge right one, after the fact i realized tge part number was different. ..but since it was identical, preryy much, i installed it....while installing it, i had to tap tge flywheel puller bolt holes , i messed up tge top of tge timer base pretty bad.......i put it back together,and now i have a totally different running problem.....(about once a revolution, it kinda kicks, motor kicks sideways, and it basically sounds like its runnin on one cylinder, .......im kinda thinkin my timer base is bad now, but because of the different part numbers, i was kinda wanting to learn what the differences were......before tge stator replacement, half tge time it would run great, the other half like it was runnin on 3 cylinders, (which i confirmed that). When it would run bad, i would floor it, (hot foot , lol, ) and it would eventually kick in and run great, like there was a short somewhere. Now when i removed the stator, there was a yellow rectifier wire shorted out on the stator......i think that shorted wire, was my running problem. When it wasnt shorted on the stator it would run right (my opinion).....watcha think about the timer base, i gouged it with a tap pretty good, in one spot about an eighth inch deep......im gonna try to ohm it here in a bit, ill let you know what i find out.....but give me your thoughts, im a mechanic, but not an outboard mechanic....so im still in the learning process, especially with tge ignition system, athough i can run you through MY system and tell you "basically" what each part does.....but im self taught, so im all ears, teach me.....

daselbee

Commander

Well....quickly....you have a whole lot of unknowns right now.
I thought we were just working on stator differences.

But I will tell you for sure...you will not be able to tell much of anything regarding ohming out that timerbase.
Using an ohmmeter on a timerbase is just about useless due to the semiconductor circuitry internal to it.
IF and only IF you have an hard open or short will it tell you anything, and then you better be sure you are looking at what you are looking at.....timerbases are tough to diagnose......

Kicking hard sideways? Are you on muffs or in a tank? If kicking hard, could be an ignition related backfire, and you would hear a loud pop out of the prop. That's why I asked muffs or tank. If a slight kick, it could be a lean sneeze.

You have to start from scratch and get that ignition system working properly FIRST. Strong spark on all six, no missing spark when looking in the timing light...you know the drill. Plenty of posts on here regarding ignition testing methods.

Where you at? You are close to me...maybe tow it over here and we can work thru it. I happen to have a 150 here that we can swap parts (timerbase) if we absolutely have to.

stratos150xp

Seaman Apprentice

Yea man i wasnt gonna bore anyone with the typical "whats wrong with my boat" post.....i do enough searching, here and google, to pretty much figure things out....i will say, no matrer tge source, i get alot of conflicting info......the sideways kick seems to only do it in the water, and only started after i put the"wrong" stator in and gouged the top of my timer base,,,,,,one thing i did do was ran a can of carb cleaner through the carbs, i know thats not proper, because it goes straight to the motor, but i was able to get tge tube into a few holes, i hope i didnt mess up my reeds while shootin that crap in the motor..

I do appreciate the offer of help, im in winter haven, an hour and a half west of u....im actuall getting a hell of a deal on an entire ignition system off an 84 (i think) 150....its known to ne a good system, and the guy selling it to me has offered to put it on for nothin...hes makin money off the parts..he is a retired boat mechanic....so rather than troubleshoot, were gonna replace everything, and my ignition will be right....so tomorrow morning, im headed to okeechobee.....im gonna pm you my number, get me yours if u like, may be beneficial either way one day.....

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The V-6 looper is said to have an " evenfire " crankshaft -----So does the 1988 motor 150 HP fire evenly at every 60 degrees of rotation ?--------The 90 degree looper has a crankshaft with the 2 adjacent journals offset I thought.--Must be a reason for this.

Last edited:

daselbee

Commander

Racer....I am going by the firing order, the number of cyls, a spark for every TDC encountered, and of course, 360* in one revolution.
Evenfire? Don't know the term.

Consider the indexing of the flywheel procedure. TDC is 60* apart on all six. TDC for #2 is exactly 60* CCW from the TDC mark for #1.
The crankpin offset must be 60* between adjacent cylinders; and for example, #4 is 180* out from #1. #1 is at TDC when #4 is at BDC; 180 degrees later, #4 is at TDC and #1 is at BDC.

But again, stator doesn't determine when a cylinder fires. It just provides AC voltage to the pack for the pack to convert to a switched high voltage pulse. That AC voltage is provided on the brown pair(s). The other function of the stator is to provide AC voltage to the reg/rect for battery charging, and is done via those coils that surround the stator that are wound with heavy gauge magnet wire. That is the high current, high heat part of the stator.

Engines newer than his have an orange pair that power the pack and are fundamental to proper QuickStart operation.

After Googling "Evenfire crankshaft" I am going to stick my neck out and say it does not pertain to a two-stroke engine.

stratos150xp

Seaman Apprentice

Ive determined my stator, even though the wrong part number , is performing as required......the only difference between the two stators in question, is the length of the two charge coil "prongs" for lack of tge correct term, and the"prong 180? from those....the overall diameter is identical.....but regardless, the entire ignitin system is gettin replaced tomorrow, and the shake i described, through further evaluation, is for now gonna be a lean sneeze, i got a couple leaky lines..........my whole no power issue is the starboard bottom two cylinders firing intermittantly, combined with a sticky, perhaps bad , timer base.......im on a roll......ill report back my results after the ignition system is replaced, and tge fuel system is buttoned up....
Nothin worse than a thread that ends in....,,,,nothing.........have a good night yall

stratos150xp

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced the entire electrical system with known ,good used parts, (complete system from another motor) so now there is no issue with mismatched parts. But for the record, the stator i originally bought, was working like it should, even though the guy at cdi said it didnt cross reference with the actual part number for my motor. Anyway, motor runs great now. My sneeze(motor shake) is gone as well.....