Wrong Coast Guard Placard

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wrong Coast Guard Placard

Does your title list the model number of the boat? My title on my 1960 sea king has the correct model listed on it..

no title - but the hull number starts with S21BR. I assume that means it's a S21 Bow rider. The model number is kind of all over the thing. I've seen other s21's and it's the same boat. The S19 is different. I'm 100% certian that I do not have a S19. You couldn't get the 19' model with the 350 at all.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forgot to add, around here a boat loaded down with youngsters gets pretty close attention the wildlife officers. They take safety of the little guys pretty seriously. Make sure you have your safety equipment at the ready (they frown upon having your type V throwable or fire extinguisher stowed), and of course the life jackets need to appropriately sized and on.

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forgot to add, around here a boat loaded down with youngsters gets pretty close attention the wildlife officers. They take safety of the little guys pretty seriously. Make sure you have your safety equipment at the ready (they frown upon having your type V throwable or fire extinguisher stowed), and of course the life jackets need to appropriately sized and on.

I'm pretty serious about that too. Been checked a couple of times and never had a problem. I have an engine fire suppression system and two extinguishers on board and two throwable life preservers too.

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took about 10 seconds to do a yellow pages search and found this:

Sea Ray Boats
2600 Sea Ray Dr
Knoxville, TN 37914
(865) 637-6614

That line has been busy ever time I've called between yesterday and today.

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the numer for US Marine:

US Marine: 1-866-937-8202

It will connect you to Parts, Technical Support and Warranties. You can reference Technical Support and they should be able to help you out. US Marine is the US based division of Brunswick which owns a number of brands, including Bayliner, Maxum and Searay.

See if technical support can help you out. You may have to have your HIN available to verify the year, make, and model.

Good Luck

The person at that number says it's for Bayliner only.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

OK, I think the OP has established that indeed he has the 21' model.

So the mystery now is, how did the placard for the 19' model get on it? Does it look like it might have been replaced?

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I think the OP has established that indeed he has the 21' model.

So the mystery now is, how did the placard for the 19' model get on it? Does it look like it might have been replaced?

I don't see any reason to believe so. It's riveted on and looks original.

shrew

Lieutenant

The generic calculation for # of people is Length X Width Divided by 15

P=(LxW)\15. However this is also based on an average adult being 150Lbs. So the total weight of people is really # of People x 150

Total Passenger Weight = (# of people x 150lbs).

So even if the placard read 10 people, that is still only 1,500lbs of occupancy. If the average person weighed 200lbs, then you can really only support 7.5 people, not 10. The numbers are "Whichever comes firsts". So even if your pacard read 10 people instead of 8, you would most likely still be exceeding the total occupancy weight. I believe this number also needs to account for the weight of gear and stuff like coolers as well.

10 people is a Lot of people. I wouldn't want to run with 10 people on my 28 ft. boat with a 9' 9" beam. I absolutely wouldn't be doing it on a boat that size. however this is just one man's opinion.

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

The generic calculation for # of people is Length X Width Divided by 15

P=(LxW)\15. However this is also based on an average adult being 150Lbs. So the total weight of people is really # of People x 150

Total Passenger Weight = (# of people x 150lbs).

So even if the placard read 10 people, that is still only 1,500lbs of occupancy. If the average person weighed 200lbs, then you can really only support 7.5 people, not 10. The numbers are "Whichever comes firsts". So even if your pacard read 10 people instead of 8, you would most likely still be exceeding the total occupancy weight. I believe this number also needs to account for the weight of gear and stuff like coolers as well.

10 people is a Lot of people. I wouldn't want to run with 10 people on my 28 ft. boat with a 9' 9" beam. I absolutely wouldn't be doing it on a boat that size. however this is just one man's opinion.

That calculation shows 11.2. Like I said above - I'm nowhere near the weight capacity. Lots of lap kids!

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

That line has been busy ever time I've called between yesterday and today.

OK. Another 30 seconds of searching and I came up with a number that I checked and it rings. Didn't wait for an answer but here it is.

Sea Ray Boats, Inc.
2600 Sea Ray Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37914
865-522-4181
Rick Stone; President & CEO
www.searay.com
Fiberglass pleasure boats
(with operations in FL & Poland)

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

OK. Another 30 seconds of searching and I came up with a number that I checked and it rings. Didn't wait for an answer but here it is.

Sea Ray Boats, Inc.
2600 Sea Ray Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37914
865-522-4181
www.searay.com

And here is another to try. 800-772-6287

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sea Ray Boats, Inc.
2600 Sea Ray Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37914
865-522-4181
www.searay.com

Well that number worked - thanks!

Sea ray told me that my boat has the same rated capacity as the S19 model. Not sure why - but the rating I have is correct. It's just the model number that's wrong. So that's my answer anyway.

Thanks for all the help here!