Wow!!! My next restore....1968 or 1967 Starcraft Chieftan aluminum boat

fishingron

Seaman
Here it is...
I found this boat for sale, I live in South Western Ontario, Canada. The owner tells me it is a 1968 but I can not find any thing yet on line for a 1968 Starcraft Chieftan, I did see the brochure for the 1967 Chieftan, looks very similar except for the additional front passenger seat that is in my boat. What do you folks think?? The owner had it for over 20 years and spent a lot of family time on it, fishing, sleep overs at different marinas etc. I also got two old Cannon downriggers with it and a home made downrigger board that attaches at the transom on the cleats. One rigger is electric and one manual, hope the electric works.
I do have a serial number plate, the number is hard to read, maybe I can contact Starcraft to get the year of it.
The boat has an inline 6, merc outdrive, it has been winterized and maintained over the years, I was able to turn the engine by hand at the front pulley using a screwdriver and prying against the mounting bracket.....so I hope all is OK with the engine. I checked and it is full of anti freeze.
The outdrive is amazing, the skeg is perfect, I am able to turn the main shaft and watch the vertical shaft turn into the lower unit,,,,,so hope all is well with the outdrive too.
The trailer is 1/4 inch C channel, all galvanized with a very old hydraulic surge braking system that I hope to restore. The trailer is in amazing condition for being so old. I had to buy two used tires to get it home after regreasing the bearings a bit, no problems on the road for the one hour trip home.
The boat has trim tabs and an old auto pilot that I do not know if it will work or not. The trim tabs, not sure either.
I absolutely love this boat, it will be a lot of work, but well worth it for me. Even my wife and kids like it. I am told the inline 6 engine is great for parts etc, and the outdrive is popular as well.
I am not very good with engine work, I can do some but I will likely have it all assessed by a marine mechanic just to be sure all is good and done right.
I really love this site, looking at other people's restore projects and the wealth of information and help here is amazing!! I would really appreciate any help you can offer me with my project. I restored a 1983 Bluefin which is on the site now but I really, really always wanted a big Starcraft to call my own. Some family think I am crazy for what I am getting myself into here, but I see it differently, beyond all that faded paint and rotted wood, is a very beautiful boat just waiting to get back out on Lake Erie and fishing again!! This is a labour of love and I love to do this kind of work!!!

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

The inside to the right of the engine at the transom.....the transom is really rotted, I looked at some other threads, I am not worried about getting it out, but my question is how am I going to be able to copy the transom when it will be impossible to come out in one piece.....does someone have a template or some ideas for that??

IMG_0077.jpg

more photos next post....

fishingron

Seaman
Re: Wow!!! My next restore....1968 or 1967 Starcraft Chieftan aluminum boat

The old engine house and one of the rear seats, under those seats were two old steel OEM fuel tanks, I would like to get rid of those and put a new or used aluminum fuel tank mid ship inside the floor......What do you think??

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Helm and the old auto pilot attachment, broken steering wheel, need to find an original Starcraft steering wheel.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

The cabin, needs a full restore, the front plexi glass windshield is spider cracked and has a small crack on the right side, I saw another thread where someone had a new glass put in.....sounds good. Not sure yet if I will keep the original cabinet style set up of ice box, sink and cup boards....may take it all out and leave space on the floor for my fishing cooler, then plywood over top for additional bench seating and sleeping area.

IMG_0071.jpg

fishingron

Seaman

So, I will post more pictures, the hull is in amazing condition, has anti foul on it, but no dings, looks good. It is cool, all of the original hardware is on the boat, old chrome spotlights, things like that, nice to see. Those two front seats are on hinges off the gunnels and drop down so you can stand to operate the boat if you want to. Not sure if I will keep that, or build boxes with pedestal seats off the boxes, and have some tackle box storage underneath the boxes. That is a long from now, I need to come with an idea to house this boat in some kind of shelter as I do not have a garage. My last restore, I bought one of the Tractor Supply garage in a box and that worked well, I may have to get one of those but just a lot bigger, I really want to get started on this project!!!
Thanks for looking and again, I really appreciate any comments or ideas that may help me.

Fishatron

Cadet

looks like a lot of work. should be a fun project. Good luck!

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice find! Definitely a lot of work, but will be worth it in the end. Look forward to watching your progress!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

She's a big old gal, Ron. You really don't need much of the transom for a template. Plenty of them have been done here. I see on the ID tag it's rated for 120HP and you have the 165 hp. No biggie, the 6 cyl. is a smoother running motor than the 4 cyl. and much torquier for a big boat. Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

congrats on a killer old boat,cant wait to see your progress

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great looking project. Going to watch this thread for some ideas.
I am in the middle of a Cheiftian resto myself.
Good luck!

fishingron

Seaman

Thanks, I am very impressed!!!....you identified that engine just from the one photograph, you know your stuff Commander!!!

fishingron

Seaman

Regarding the exact year of the boat......is there a way to find this out? I guess I will find out when I transfer the vessel numbers to me, they would go back to the original registration. Another question, do you think I could put an in floor aluminum fuel tank in this boat?
I appreciate the experience of everyone here.

GA_Boater

Ron, about the only way to figure the year is the paper work or if SC keeps records and you can kind the right contact there. MY SC has the year as the first two digits (66) in the serial no., but your Chief doesn't appear to be that way. Hard to read the pic.

I think you will plenty of room for an under deck tank. Look at some of the restos of the larger SC's. You have a deep under deck area and two stringers on either side of the centerline.

On the motor ID - you gave it away in the text. There is only one in-line 6 cyl. - 165 hp, 250 c.i. I'm not so smart, but thanks. :redface:

Hope you can find a big enough shelter for her - and you. :D

fishingron

Seaman

More photographs....
The old steel gas tank

1968StarcraftChieftanpicts086.jpg

Top of the bow....does someone know why there is air intake chrome covers here on the bow? Was there a factory gas tank in the bow at one time on these boats???

1968StarcraftChieftanpicts085.jpg

Does anyone know what the fittings are for that are attached to the bow top??

1968StarcraftChieftanpicts084.jpg

The helm drop down seat on a tubular type hinge attached to the gunnel

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/fishingron/1968%20Starcraft%20Chieftan%20Boat/1968StarcraftChieftanpicts079.jpg[/I
MG]

[IMG]http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/fishingron/1968%20Starcraft%20Chieftan%20Boat/1968StarcraftChieftanpicts080.jpg

1968StarcraftChieftanpicts074.jpg

fishingron

Seaman

more photographs, the passenger front drop down seat....

1968StarcraftChieftanpicts066.jpg

1968StarcraftChieftanpicts067.jpg

1968StarcraftChieftanpicts067.jpg

1968StarcraftChieftanpicts070.jpg

1968StarcraftChieftanpicts073.jpg

1968StarcraftChieftanpicts071.jpg

GA_Boater

Wonder if those pieces on the bow are an anchor hold down bracket. Just a guess there. My Nassau has an air vent on the bow and it never, factory or otherwise, had a bow fuel tank. Maybe it's for some cabin ventilation?

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool system for the drop down seats! I am going to seriously consider that approach myself.

As for the bow vents. On my boat at the very tip of the bow under the seat boxes there are the remnants of plumbing for a head.
If you have one as well perhaps the extra venting is there to help keep the cabin air fresh. Just a wild guess. :)

My initial thought on those brackets was for an anchor too.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ron!! Welcome to the Starcraft botherhood buddy:)

The Starcraft Islander is probably the biggest project of the tin boat rebuilds. Wanna know which one is bigger? Yup, the Chieftain! (still way easier than those darn glass boats) So, get ready for the long haul my friend.

So if I may sign on for the project I'd love to tag along.

She's a great ride enjoy!!:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great project. I'll be watching this one.

fishingron

Seaman

Yes, I got a lot of experience doing the restore on my 1983 16ft Bluefin, I did such a good job that every time I use it, someone wants to buy it from me!!! Not bragging, I think it is just all the heart and soul, sometimes blood that went into that boat, and it does look good.
So, I jump into one huge project now, but there are not very many of those boats around where I live, and all I see in it is something beautiful!!
I am willing to do the work, take my time at it and see it back in the water some day!!
I was talking to one of the Starcraft dealerships today about it, he wants me to get the floor out and check out the ribs from mid ship to the bow for "rib end cracking". I guess for about a $150.00 in parts, I can fix it if it is there, or I will do it as a preventative measure so I do not have to take the floor out again!!
Also, working on getting a used aluminum fuel tank to put in the floor, about 40 gallons so I can go far into the lake fishing all day and not worry so much about fuel. I think the original fuel supply in those two back under seat tanks was only about 20 gallons total. I am not sure how good the in line 6 will be on fuel, I would think it should be pretty good. I am NOT one to beat my boats, get up on plane and ease it off to a comfortable ride.....that is what I like.
I have a great idea for a shelter for it too, just need to do a little shopping.....I may get into the restore sooner than I thought......EXCEPT for the honey do list at home......let's see, paint the rooms in the house, paint the outside doors, install trim.....NO, the boat sounds much more fun to me!!!!!!!!!!
What are your thoughts on this "rib end splitting" ????
Thanks,
Ron

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

What are your thoughts on this "rib end splitting" ????

Once you pull up the deck then you can get a good look at the ribs there.