would you put a bigfoot on a runabout?

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm not really familiar with bigfoots.

I was offered a 2005 2-stroke 60hp big foot at a really great price and I have a 89 bayliner capri. The boat is more of a runabout for skiing and stuff.

The more I read about bigfoots, they seem to be made for low torque. Pontoon boats and stuff.

Does this mean that I would lose a lot on the top end if it were on my boat?

Any ideas on how it would perform on my boat?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: would you put a big on a runabout?

If its over 16ft in lenght ....no

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Increasing the prop pitch by 4 inches keeps it roughly equal to a standard 60hp motor. There will be some increased drag due to the larger lower unit.

sxmerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are some advantages to running a Bigfoot even if there is no NEED for it. Namely you will be able to run a much larger prop. All that extra blade area translates into performance gains. Boston Whaler rigs all their small boats with Bigfoots for just this reason. Even the 13 footers. It may look a little goofy, but I think you'll be very happy with it. Not to mention the Bigfoot gearcase is much more durable than the the standard gearcase.

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. It's a 15' runabout. Right now it has an 86 envinrude on it and it performs so well. But this is such a great deal and I know the thing will last forever.

Plus, I wouldn't mind having power trim and I have another boat I could put the envinrude on

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So what I'm seeing here is that is propped correctly, there are no real disadvantages...

(man I wish I had high speed internet up here at the cottage...SOOO much research I could be doing)

Jeep Man

Commander

My friend got a new lund fishing boat in the spring and the package came with a 60 Bigfoot. My toon has the same engine. He is very happy with his and said it was a gasmizer.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I'm yet to see a reason NOT to put a bigfoot on ANY boat... More thrust, bigger prop, stronger gearcase.... Ahhh.... Just thought of one, the props will cost you about $20 more.... but for the advantages, I'd happily pay that....

Chris.......

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks a lot gang!

It's an 05 that only got used twice and they're asking half of what they paid for it.