would moth balls keep a cat out of my boat?

pvmtsux

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: would moth balls keep a cat out of my boat?

Sorry, I didn't realize this was a PETA forum. Just a joke...lighten up people.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Animal Control just left with another stray. Well, I say another, but this one actually looked like a repeat offender.
Slow learners...

hostage

Lieutenant

A little off topic, though my old man had issues with squirrels eating at his wiring in his truck. They suggested using mothballs to keep them out of the engine bay. Though after he put the mothballs in the engine bay, he tossed the box into the cabin of the truck and let it sit there for months, until I came to visit. It was very unpleasant driving that thing around.

hostage

Lieutenant

Animal Control just left with another stray. Well, I say another, but this one actually looked like a repeat offender.
Slow learners...

I could see someone posting in Dockside, "Another one of my cats went missing again".

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I could see someone posting in Dockside, "Another one of my cats went missing again".
Or, "I just picked up my cat from the pound for the third time!"

I love this site. I learn something new every time I visit. For example today I learn moths have balls and apparently one can buy them locally. Up until now, I never knew that. I'll bet those suckers are tiny.

Here's the deal. Someone jabbed someone about antifreeze. Did you know moth balls are toxic? Yup. So if the little feline decides to have taste, or perhaps the dog gets a hold of one it could be adios.

I would try planting herbs around your boat is it's a real concern and the cats are causing damage. You can use citronella, lavender, rosemary and garlic chives. Someone here mention the citronella...you can easily stick the waxed version in the boat and it should help. Also there is the electronic alternative. Pet stores carry devices that emit sounds that will scare off kitty.

hostage

Lieutenant

Here's the deal. Someone jabbed someone about antifreeze. Did you know moth balls are toxic? Yup. So if the little feline decides to have taste, or perhaps the dog gets a hold of one it could be adios.

I would try planting herbs around your boat is it's a real concern and the cats are causing damage. You can use citronella, lavender, rosemary and garlic chives. Someone here mention the citronella...you can easily stick the waxed version in the boat and it should help. Also there is the electronic alternative. Pet stores carry devices that emit sounds that will scare off kitty.

With garlic you will also keep those pesky vampires out of your boat! :p

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

there is somewhat of a difference. cats, dogs, and kids are attracted to antifreeze. sweet smell and taste. Moth balls are supposed to have a repellant quality to them, and apparantly taste horrendously bad.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a cat/boat problem. I got one of those proximity alarm systems that screetches when it senses motion and flashes a small strobe. I put it under the boat cover in the cockpit facing the motorwell (where the cat entered). It was very effective.

There are also pads available that lightly shock an interloper.

there is somewhat of a difference. cats, dogs, and kids are attracted to antifreeze. sweet smell and taste. Moth balls are supposed to have a repellant quality to them, and apparantly taste horrendously bad.

Point taken but here's the thing. I have cats in my neighborhood (not in my boat) and while moth balls are an alternative, if I dropped a couple on the ground my personal garbage disposal Wiemaraner and Beagle would be all over them.I don't want to take the chance. I would rather go the electronic or herb route.

Hostage has a point about vampires, but if I recall correctly, cats and vampires don't get along with each other very well.

archcityBob

Seaman

While we are on the cat thread, I thought I'd share this. Have you ever wondered if a cats' butt touches the counter top or table when it's up there? Here's how you find out.

Take a tube of your wife's lipstick and color the cats butt. Put the cat on the counter top. You may now check if the butt actually touches the counter top.

(Remember to replace the lipstick before your wife notices it missing.)

Dolfan0925

Seaman

The problem for me personally would be the moth balls would keep me out as well. That smell is horrible.

Pacoson71

Seaman Apprentice

I love My cat and cats in general but....... Outdoor pissing flea bitten animals... That's another story.

A cat and a human are the only 2 creatures that will **** on your belongings out of spite! ( a dog does it to mark territory).

I use a .22 pellet rifle for exterior problems and fun target shooting.

Civility with the Owner/Neighbor of the cat should be first. Let them Buy whatever YOU need to keep THEIR cat out of YOUR boat.

Pellets/traps come as last resort.

etracer68

Ensign

Heck, why not just put the same lipstick back. But I dont think I would do that to my other half, but maybe my mother inlaw.

G

No but LEAD will work every time :D. Stupid animals always want to get into your boat and ruin it for you when you open it up in the spring:facepalm:

AmigoAzul

Seaman Apprentice

I let the cat sleep in my boat. I'd rather clean up the hair with a vacumm than deal with little critters making a home in the hard to get parts of the boat. I let the little killer do his job that's what I pay him for.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

A note about moth balls toxicity: as few as 7 common moth balls will cause a long and horrible death in an adult. I would guess as little as two or three will do in a large dog. Kids die from eating moth balls on a regular basis, regardless of how bad they smell.

mrronstar

Cadet

You can cut off his tail......you know right behind his ears lollolololol

goneagain1

Recruit

I'm confused, Why would you put lipstick on a moths balls? and what color would you use?