Would a '86 Johnson VRO have a temp-induced rev limiter?

Noltz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Relating to my old thread on my problematic 40hp, de-VRO'd Johnson. The short version is I cruised for 20 minutes at 3/4, went to go to WOT and it (felt like it) dropped a cylinder. The carbs were suspect as they were clogged from sitting 8+ years, were quasi-cleaned twice already, plus they leaked externally when I tilted the engine for launch & recovering. I authorized the carbs be pulled apart. Fully torn down we didn't see anything that may have caused the engine to run seemingly on one cylinder. They were overhauled anyways. Dunk tank in varsol for 72 hours, blown clean with compressed air and fresh gaskets throughout. External leak solved, but the waterpump still isn't flowing so that'll go on before I put it in water again but it had me wondering; Did Johnson ever put a temperature-induced limiter on their engines?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Would a '86 Johnson VRO have a temp-induced rev limiter?

The overheat temperature sensor that would cause the powerpack to cease firing on one bank was introduced in 1989 I believe. Should I be in error, I'm sure that another member will be along shortly with a correction.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

1988 in the V loopers.

Noltz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So it exists, but wasn't installed OE on my engine. I wonder if someone swapped or updated the part before I owned it. Possible.

Thanks. Waterpump is next then I'll check it again.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If it exists on your engine, one of the heat sensors at the cylinder head(s) would have two wires instead of one.

Noltz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you, I'll look for it.