WOT timing question

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went to do the WOT timing as per the top secret file by TD. Problem is I can't turn my motor over with the throttle at full because of the neutral safety switch in the control box. Is there an easy disable or do I disconnect the throttle cable from the motor and just put the lever forward to the timing stop?
Thanks.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: WOT timing question

Its the same reason I toss all that uncessary stuff overboard a long time ago :)

Use a short battery lead wire and jump it, You will be by-passing solenoid with car jumper from (+) on solenoid or battery to (+) on starter.

You should know how to do this as a backup plan if out on the water and have a failed switch or faulty solenoid etc.. I use this little *** bits saving a Boater costly towing fee once on St John's using the handle of a pair of dykes..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you use a remote switch. with the plugs out of the motor, or plug wires off. switch connects to large incoming post on starter solenoid, and the smaller yellow contact wire on solenoid.

it also comes in very handy in other times also. well worth the money. the are not expensive.

Attachments

• remote starter.jpg
    remote starter.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 0

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I had a car once that had to be started like that about every 4th or 5th time.

here's another possibility:
where the the timer base is linked to the throttle lever, is a plastic ball & socket-type flange. Pop the rod out of the plastic holder, which will free up the timer base. secure it to the stop screw, so it won't vibrate around. be advised, at 29 years old, that plastic flange might break. it's a cheap replacement though.

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a car once that had to be started like that about every 4th or 5th time.

here's another possibility:
where the the timer base is linked to the throttle lever, is a plastic ball & socket-type flange. Pop the rod out of the plastic holder, which will free up the timer base. secure it to the stop screw, so it won't vibrate around. be advised, at 29 years old, that plastic flange might break. it's a cheap replacement though.

Ok, that sounds easy enough, though I'm wondering if it's not better to jump it with the throttle all the way forward to guage whether or not to adjust the throttle cable if it needs adjustment. If that doesn't matter for this test, ie: we only care about timing it with the timer base all the way forward and adjusting it with the stop bolt, I'll do it this way.
Thanks.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

for this procedure, it's the timer base that matters.

Plugs out for better cranking RPM.

Use jumper wires to ground the other plug leads. That high voltage will want to arc if it gets close to any good ground, it can wreak havoc with ignition components.

With a remote start switch, it can be a one-man operation; this way, you need a helper to turn the key.