Worried I bought the wrong boat?

Chevysolid

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Worried I bought the wrong boat?

Bear,

I did the same type of things, had the same questions and asked them on here fist... I ended up finding a nice boat with the V8 in it for a little more than I was gonna spend on the 3.0.....

That being said... I know what your going through It sucks that it is winter and we can't go out and thrash the new toy,

I did the same last year when I bought a jet ski in Jan, and the same two years before when I bought a bike in November, guess I just like to torture myself...

and my wife hates that I buy all these other little things after just spending money on the big thing ;-)

Oh, well..... Spring cant come soon enough

Cptkid570

Ensign

Bear - I have a 19' boat with a 3.0 and I feel that it's a great motor. I run a 19 pitch prop, but it's aluminum. You will be very happy with your choice.

I know you'll read a lot of threads on here about people wanting more power out of their boats, but realistically, how often do people really run their boats over 30mph? I think I probably go around 22 to 25 most of the time I'm up on a plane. Just don't care to really push it.

Oh - your boat will get good fuel economy too.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Thanks Cptkid,

I'm chilled out now... Working on projects with the boat, in anticipation of spring. Projects currently adding a trolling motor to the bow. Gonna need some iboat help for that one.. Also boxed in the rear seats for storage, and space for charging relay system, shore charger, two extra batteries, and stereo amp... I can't wait to get her on the water!

jkust

Rear Admiral

I think a lot of us are second guessers when we get our first boat. $5,500 for a nice bowrider is a great place to start. I see tons of 3 liters out there and they do the job just fine. I was a former second guesser when I bought my boat last season. 49mph was just not quick enough for me but I soon realized no one other than the driver cares how fast you are going. There comes a point when anything beyond a certain point is just for show and my kids don't care if we drive a Formula or a Bayliner. I opted for something just a notch up but I plan to keep it for a very long time. We have had an 84 Bayliner in our family since new and most of my boating memories and love for the water were made on that boat and I didn't care what make it was.

I will give you an off topic tip I wished I had heard. If you tow your boat, invest in a travel cover. If you don't and use the mooring cover like me, little rocks and sand kick up while trailering on the highway and make a nice sandblast pattern on colored gelcoat and decals.

bear_69cuda

Commander

The cover I'm having made for the boat will cover close to 80% of the hull. The cover-maker said it's perfect for trailering on the highway... I also went for this cover type as in the summer the boat will be stored outside. Thanks for the advice and kind words!

I can't wait to make family and friend memories in the boat! I think I'm hooked big time!

jkust

Rear Admiral

The cover I'm having made for the boat will cover close to 80% of the hull. The cover-maker

Who is making your cover. I need to order one by spring and I haven't seen one that covers 80%.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't read all the replys, but here is my opinion of Bayliners. They are great Entry level boats to get you in the hobby, at any level you choose. Whethere its a small family Bow Rider as the OP has, or a Entry Level cruiser. This can also serve a person well for a long time if they are only occasional users.

However, once the bug bites, many people upgrade very quickly to something a little better built with better options.

I for one, bought a 19ft Sea Ray with a 4.3L FI engine. Awesome boat, love it. However, I wish I wouldn't hav einvested so much in it as now, after having it for two years... I find I spend most of my time pulling skiers, tubers, and my favorite water activity is wake boarding. So, now I really want to upgrade to a Supra or Mastercraft Wakeboar boat.

In essence, this happens to a lot of folks. You get in, find you really enjoy it... then get in deeper and invest more money.

My advice. Keep what you got for a year or two. Take care of it, fix anythign that is broken or breaks, and upgrade when you really know what you want to do on the water.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I can get the boat cover makers number... He is local in Madison WI. He offers 3 types. Snap-on, that covers just below the bumper rail. Mid level, goes ~ half way down the side attaches with straps. Then one one I was referring... The only kicker is, he needs the boat for a week to make them... He has no template info for specific boats... Each is custom made. Mine will run ~ $700. But I want the boat dry being stored outside in the summer. My buddy had his old Alumacraft fishing boat with one of these covers, stored outside in the winter and all... When he traded up after 15 years, the marina was blown away how well the interior had stood up. His new boat also has one of htese covers... The dude even makes rib like supports that arch the cover so snow and ice don't accumulate...

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Kyle f

Maybe in a couple years when we both are ready to upgrade, I can take your Sea Ray off your hands! :)

I have this feeling a Sea Ray will be my next boat! I love those things!

Peace out!

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Hi man congratulation on your new rig and glad to see that you are at eez with your deal;) I think that this thread will help make a lot of first time boat owner relax;) The cover is a good investment if you use it:D happy boating

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

I love my Sea Ray. Awesome boat.. and everyone that rides in it is suprised how well it performs.

However, under the right conditions, I would be willing to part with it now to get a MAstercraft or Supra.

Hey Kyle f

Maybe in a couple years when we both are ready to upgrade, I can take your Sea Ray off your hands! :)

I have this feeling a Sea Ray will be my next boat! I love those things!

Peace out!