Worn, obsolete trailer equalizers

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat sits on an '82 Roadrunner trailer, which came with it originally. It is a tandem axle. I bought it from a friend who lived 2 miles from the ramp, so he never worried about the brakes or suspension. I have to drive about an hour to the lake, so after surviving on luck last year, I'm trying to get it back into tip-top shape.

My problem is this: the plastic bushings in the equalizers (double eye springs) wore through, and the wore about an 1/8" groove into the metal. Unfortunately, these particular equalizers appear to be unobtanium. They are 5" straight, and the only ones I can find that are straight are 8".

Do I
1) run the 8"'s and don't worry about it
2) Fill the damage with JB Weld, drill out, and use a new bushing (flipping it over so the main stress is on the cast iron)
3) buy "curved" equalizers, which will lift the trailer a bit (which it needs anyway), even though this would cause the springs to no longer sit parallel with the ground. The center hanger is long, so I suppose I could drill a new hole to hang the equalizer and keep the springs in the right orientation.
4) Flip the equalizers and don't worry about the wear
5) enter your suggestion here

I'm leaning towards #2, as i would prefer to not alter the factory suspension geometry, and I worry that not filling the groove would simply cause the new bushings to be destroyed, but think JB would be strong enough to withstand the rather small force on the EQ as the trailer comes down off the bump. I assume it would be tougher than the nylon bushing.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Worn, obsolete trailer equalizers

My boat sits on an '82 Roadrunner trailer, which came with it originally. It is a tandem axle. I bought it from a friend who lived 2 miles from the ramp, so he never worried about the brakes or suspension. I have to drive about an hour to the lake, so after surviving on luck last year, I'm trying to get it back into tip-top shape.

My problem is this: the plastic bushings in the equalizers (double eye springs) wore through, and the wore about an 1/8" groove into the metal. Unfortunately, these particular equalizers appear to be unobtanium. They are 5" straight, and the only ones I can find that are straight are 8".

Do I
1) run the 8"'s and don't worry about it
2) Fill the damage with JB Weld, drill out, and use a new bushing (flipping it over so the main stress is on the cast iron)
3) buy "curved" equalizers, which will lift the trailer a bit (which it needs anyway), even though this would cause the springs to no longer sit parallel with the ground. The center hanger is long, so I suppose I could drill a new hole to hang the equalizer and keep the springs in the right orientation.
4) Flip the equalizers and don't worry about the wear
5) enter your suggestion here

I'm leaning towards #2, as i would prefer to not alter the factory suspension geometry, and I worry that not filling the groove would simply cause the new bushings to be destroyed, but think JB would be strong enough to withstand the rather small force on the EQ as the trailer comes down off the bump. I assume it would be tougher than the nylon bushing.

In the process of doing the exact same thing myself, except mine are triangular and found 6" equalizers to replace my 5 1/2" ones. 1/2" means nothing as far as I see. I wouldn't fill w/ JB Weld. I found some 5 1/2" straight ones for you here in about 15 seconds: http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/TruRyde/TREQR2.html. Seems like 1/2" off is common. LOL

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HOW did you find those!? I have placed 3 orders with etrailers, and scoured their site looking for that exact thing, and never found them!

That is exactly the part I need; thank you so much.

Aha-I see the problem now; these are placed under "bolts", and all the other equalizers were under "equalizers". Those turkeys.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

A little off topic...... But I boat at Clinton Lake too. You are the first person who I have seen on this form that boats there. Are you an hour there or round trip is an hour? I'm going to guess you live around the Northwest side of Bloomington? I live close to Downs and the trip for me is 25 minutes if the traffic is light.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was boating up through October last year. Isn't having a lake that has a built in heater nice? At least until you hit the heat of summer.

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live over in the Champaign direction. I can get there in 45 min by car, but like to take it a little easier with the boat.

Our nuclear powered heater is a nice feature. We took a day off in October last year as well and squeezed in one more trip. That side opens again at the end of the month, so I'm trying to figure out a way to squeeze in an Easter outing. Not sure if the lake is still down too much, though, or what the water temp is this time of year. I'm betting it's nice with this heat wave we've been having.

Last summer, the lake was down so much my FIL dropped his pontoon trailer off the end of the ramp and got stuck pretty good. With the dry winter and spring so far, I'm worried there won't be much lake left.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

HOW did you find those!? I have placed 3 orders with etrailers, and scoured their site looking for that exact thing, and never found them!

That is exactly the part I need; thank you so much.

Aha-I see the problem now; these are placed under "bolts", and all the other equalizers were under "equalizers". Those turkeys.

You are welcome. Glad to help......

Googled "5 inch straight spring equalizers" and was 3rd item to pop up..... LOL

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unreal. I searched Google for "straight trailer equalizers" and all I got was 8". I humbly bow to your google-fu.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I live over in the Champaign direction. I can get there in 45 min by car, but like to take it a little easier with the boat.

Our nuclear powered heater is a nice feature. We took a day off in October last year as well and squeezed in one more trip. That side opens again at the end of the month, so I'm trying to figure out a way to squeeze in an Easter outing. Not sure if the lake is still down too much, though, or what the water temp is this time of year. I'm betting it's nice with this heat wave we've been having.

Last summer, the lake was down so much my FIL dropped his pontoon trailer off the end of the ramp and got stuck pretty good. With the dry winter and spring so far, I'm worried there won't be much lake left.

I flew out to ft. Lauderdale for a cruise. Departed right over Clinton lake. Man it looks small from that high. All the boats were in the marina. Looking at the dam they have as an emergency holding pond for the cooling was visible just under water. Maybe a foot or so. I don't have my map with me, but I could make a good estimate for you in about a week. I would think you would just spend the bit more time to drive to Shelby ville. Sorry for grammar mistakes but I'm doing this on my phone. Do you launch on the free campground launch or the Maria launch?

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We launch at the Weldon access. It's free, on the heated side of the lake, usually not too busy, and my in-laws live nearby, so it works out well, and we have a place to stay on Saturday nights.

We tried launching up at Parnell last labor day (that's when my FIL got stuck), and I drug my skeg a couple times in that no wake zone with just me aboard. It was only 1-2' deep in the channel, and the rest was less. Easily could've walked across it. Then when we anchored up there later on, the idiot out of towners who can't read the "no wake zone" signs would come screaming through there on plane. I'm amazed no one lost a drive (that I heard of)

Shelbyville is about the same distance to drive, but I'm timid of all the shallow areas that the locals all seem to know (and I don't), and there seems to be lots more crazies, 1000 HP no muffler jet boats, and drunks looking for someone to run over down there. Clinton is nice and quiet most of the time, as many regard it as being too small. My buddy (who lived 2 miles from the ramp at Shelbyville) moved further south this winter, so we'll be meeting up at Shelbyville this summer and I'll have to learn to avoid some of the pitfalls.

My only complaint is that Boondocks gets so busy at lunch that you can't even find a place to tie up, and then it takes an hour to get your food. Still love the place, though. I'm gonna see if they'll take a phone order and we can eat it on the boat.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I haven't been to Clinton on the weekend, but I hear it is over crowded. I saw a map at walmart of Clinton, shelbyville, and rend lake a few months ago. Hunting and fishing desk and it was way over priced, but I figured if it kept me from tearing up a prop once, it was worth the $. I could get a nice picture of the Clinton map for you to study, but I didn't get the shelbyville one as I have never pulled my boat there; have been boating there with friends about 4 times before though.

Edit
Well I misplaced my map. I'll see if I can find it sooner or later.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a link to a few pictures I took of the map. If you click on the picture you will get a full sized version. I was looking and I found the maps online for purchase here . $11.45 for Clinton or Shelbyville. Free shiping and no tax. I think I paid $12 at walmart plus tax.

If I remember right, you have to click on display something if you're using internet explorer or the pictures will not load.

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't worry about it; I have both.

My FIL called yesterday to tell me that there were several boats/skiiers out on the warm side, which reopened yesterday. He also said it was VERY low.

We often go mid-week to have the place to ourselves. I'm pretty sure the fishermen hate that, but there is plenty of no wake area for them to fish. I have never been there even on a weekend and thought it was too crowded, though. Even Labor Day weekend was not bad at all.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Soon as I get my "over the winter" trailer maintenance done I'll probably be out there on a warmer week day when I'm off. Hopefully we can get some rain. I was going to estimate that the lake would be about 10 feet low. If you get an exact footage that could be useful. Lower units and props are not as cheep as they used to be.............