Worn crankshaft splines

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
It would be a lot easier just to replace the splines. And then you wouldnt have a one of a kind thing.<br /><br />Good luck!

petryshyn

Commander
Worn crankshaft splines

I just purchased a 90hp Evinrude OB with stripped crank and driveshaft splines. Before I attempt a repair, has anyone had experience with this type of fix? (I plan on pressing a deep socket into the crank bore and machining a hex head on the drive-shaft)<br />Any thoughts or horror stories?

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Worn crankshaft splines

The problem with replacing the splines is that there part of the crank. I'd also have to replace the driveshaft. Big money. . . . :confused:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Even though the splines are part of the c/s they can be replaced. Same with the driveshaft. Whatever you do, don't forget the seal area on the bottom of the crank.<br /><br />Good luck!

petryshyn

Commander

Who can replace these splines? I've tried several c/s rebuilders, but no luck....

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Roehr's Machine Shop. 941-955-5246 and talk to Tom.<br /><br />Good luck!

petryshyn

Commander

Thanks for the insight Dhadley. I just put the splines (hex in this case) back into my crank.<br />I must admit the old splines were hard to machine, but got em out! I baked the crank in wife's oven and froze the insert. Went in hard, so I know she won't slip. Its gotta go!! I'm looking for a used dividing head so I can put a hex on the driveshaft. Any thoughts on where to look?<br /> :)