woodruff key replacement help

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: woodruff key replacement help

Ok first of all what are we working on? Model # please!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dome side just sits into crankshaft. Just make sure its straight up with crankshaft pryor to installing flywheel. Use some grease between crank and flywheel in case it needs to be removed again. BTW, Why did you have to change key? post back results.

i bought this motor last week, it started up fine when the dude showed me, i put it on the water a few days later, and i was starting to throttle up win it make a clanking noise then died. i ended up trolling in from the middle of the lake, took me about 30 minutes, took it apart and realised it had snapped. witch way is the correct way to put it in there is noches on it

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Dome side just sits into crankshaft. Just make sure its straight up with crankshaft pryor to installing flywheel. Use some grease between crank and flywheel in case it needs to be removed again. BTW, Why did you have to change key? post back results.

NO grease. Crank taper and flywheel bore must be clean and dry (no oil, grease or anything else). Flywheel nut must be torqued to correct value. If the old key sheared, it's about 99.9% likely the flywheel nut wasn't properly torqued. You only get a few tries to get it right, before the flywheel and crankshaft become junk.

The stamp marks go in the crank slot and the straight edge must be parallel to the crank CL.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is what the manual says for a 9 1/2 HP motor.

woodruff key.JPG

thanks i got it in there. quick question my flywheel not aint looking to good, could i go to the hardware store and get another one of will it not be strong enough

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Won't be strong enough.
Napa carries outboard keys.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

NO grease. Crank taper and flywheel bore must be clean and dry (no oil, grease or anything else). Flywheel nut must be torqued to correct value. If the old key sheared, it's about 99.9% likely the flywheel nut wasn't properly torqued. You only get a few tries to get it right, before the flywheel and crankshaft become junk.

The stamp marks go in the crank slot and the straight edge must be parallel to the crank CL.

I guess I have been doing this wrong all the time. Humph!

IMG_0640.jpgIMG_0643.jpgIMG_0642.jpgI have ran into a problem, i got it put back together but somehow i messed up something, it is making a rattaling noise and my throttle is sticking, i no wat is but i dont no what to do to put it back right. its the black peace with a metal bar, that goes onto the green plate