Wood Trim Help

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello everyone. My 1981 Glastron SSV194 has a lot of wood trim. Someone varnished it and it's flaking off. Do you know of a way to get all the varnish off without sanding the wood away? Also several pieces have grooves that a sander can't get into. Also, should I just oil / water seal the wood??

Thanks for your assistance.

Craig

Attachments

• IMGA0178.jpg
    IMGA0178.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0

joelhusvar

Recruit
Re: Wood Trim Help

Craig,

I'd use a good paint and finish stripper from the hardware store. It won't damage the wood or take you days of sanding. Then I'd put a good coat of stain on it and finish off with some clear. They will come out great as long as you wait the amount of time it says between coats and closely follow the directions

- Joel

Hello everyone. My 1981 Glastron SSV194 has a lot of wood trim. Someone varnished it and it's flaking off. Do you know of a way to get all the varnish off without sanding the wood away? Also several pieces have grooves that a sander can't get into. Also, should I just oil / water seal the wood??

Thanks for your assistance.

Craig

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That is prolly teak. Klean Strip in the Orange can would be my recommended stripper. Sikkens Makes a good teak oil. Soak it till it pools and won't take any more. Let dry for 24 Hours. Leave it natural and reapply the oil every week, or apply 3-4 Coats of a good UV protectant Marine Varnish. Epiphanes makes a good one.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

I sanded my Teak all the way down to bare wood using a random orbital and hand sanding. Used 80 grit and then 100 grit to make it smooth. Then I used Watco Teak Oil and put 4 coats on it by saturating the wood, waiting an hour and a half between coats to make sure it soaked in good. I put a coat on once a week for a month and now put a coat on monthly.

Attachments

• AFTER 2.jpg
    AFTER 2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DURING 1.jpg
    DURING 1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SWIM PLATFORM BEFORE.jpg
    SWIM PLATFORM BEFORE.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Scrape the crap off that teak with a good sharp scraper :) ..

Sand with 80 grit and put 5 coats of teak oil on it.

YD.