Wood rot problems-WHY?

motownbob

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1997 crestliner and have had repeated problems with rotting floor panels.They were replaced by the dealer at no charge. Also,i just replaced the two side panels for the consoles one of which had a soft spot, one where the bottom quarter was falling apart. I keep the boat on a trailer, with a snap on cover. Any idea why i am having so many rot problems. My suspicions are not enough ventilation... the boat is used once a week, fresh water only. the floor has the optional vinyl covering and i always leave the drain plug out when on the trailer. Bob

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Wood rot problems-WHY?

talk about cheap wood! replace with quality wood<br />and properly seal exposed edges and she'll outlive<br />us both ;)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

You do need good ventilation under the cover, don't put cover on till it's dry inside... :)

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

If it's stored outside, the water will still find its way under the snap cover during rain. Plus the cover holds in condensation that occurs during temp. changes. <br /><br />M.Y. is correct about properly treated quality wood will last quite a while. I have a feeling the dealer took a short cut when last replacing your wood. Check the Projects forum for tips on doing it right this time. :cool:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Thats interesting that you are having so much problems. I keep my boat in the water with a cheapy Wallyworld cover on it and no matter how bad it rains I never get any water in the boat. Is your cover holding pools of water at all, or is there portions of the boat that are not covered but could have leaking hardware? The floorboards should not rot that quickly. I'm thinking you should get you some good wood, sheath it in epoxy and cloth, cover it with covering of choice, and be done with it. Good luck....