won't run after carb rebuild

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Rebuilt the carbs on my 1995 Johnson 50hp outboard. Put everything back together and now she won't start. I'll check for spark tomorrow, but trying to see if i should also investigate other ideas as well. Only other thing I touched was fuel pump and starter. She cranks fine and fuel is sucking to at least the pump, send like fuel maybe in carbs but may just be the carb spray.

She ran before this but had issues that pointed to dirty carbs.

I also figure I may pull line going to carbs and see if it is indeed pumping the fuel.

Any thoughts?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: won't run after carb rebuild

Squirt some fuel mixture into the carbs, if it fires off at least you know for sure it's a fuel problem.

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Squirt some fuel mixture into the carbs, if it fires off at least you know for sure it's a fuel problem.

Thanks, I'll do that....it actually crossed my mind once, but seem to have forgotten. I kept trying carb cleaner, but that wasn't doing it. It's hanging on a pontoon and I was by myself, so I kept having to get up/down, repeat about 2 dozen times!!!

Will it not fire on carb cleaner? I'm guessing I'd need a can of starting fluid instead???

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Thats a two storke?? if it is dont use either as you will scorch your cylinders, as if you are having fuel problems your cylinders/bearings might get no oil to them.
Premix some fuel and oil and put into a spray bottle

jtw37

Seaman Apprentice

IF you get it started by spraying it directly in the card's, but it still won't start or idle, you need to go back to your carb cleaning. After years of working on 2 and 4 stroke engine, big and small, I found out if you don't spray the carb cleaner into every little hole, regardless of how small the hole, it will or can affect it starting or idling. I just had that problem with my 50 Johnson. Took the carb's off and cleaned and rebuilt them and everything works fine. Not saying your cleaning is not thorough, just may need to try it again. If it runs like I stated earlier.

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bosunsmate......I thought about that right after posting, but thanks!

jtw37, that's what I'm wondering....I actually soaked them in chemtool, it was a bit old but still seemed to remove the gunk. I then sprayed them down with air and tried to ensure air went through every passage way. Only other things I touched were the fuel pump and the starter and the starter is doing its job..

I'm leaning towards the spark, just need a hand to test that, because the water in my barrel was very gassy/oily looking....not sure if left over residue in the barrel from a previous decarb or if it is unburned gas/oil coming out of exhaust from failing to start!

open the drain screw at the bottom of the carb and make sure there fuel in the base. I have seen the float installed upside down after a rebuild and gas will never fill up the carb bowl. Also check the basics like the lanyard is plugged in.

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sprayed gas/oil into carbs and it fires. Could that still be float issue? Checking involves pulling back of flame arrestor. Or could it be the idle screw?

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

does it keep running?
float on bottom carb had gas, they were identical when buttoned up! When I finally got it going it seemed to stay running when fast idle. I'd I put in normal idle it'd die. I'm taking it that's the idle screw causing my issues. I had it on ears, I'll put in tank next day or two and mess more with it. ...