Won't Idle

ifvvet

Recruit
Hi guys and thanks for any help you can lend! ok here's the problem, 2001 mercury outboard saltwater 115hp 2-stroke won't idle, it runs fine at any rpm over 1000 rpm's, good spark, it's getting constant fuel, fuel lines are tight, anti siphone valve just replaced, just added a fuel/water seperator and filter is brand new (3hrs) of run time on it, no water in tank, primer bulb is ok too. I've been reading alot of post's on this before I decided to write and what I get is I should rebuild the carbs first, and then go from there, the carbs have never been rebuilt on them since I owned the boat (2004) and I'm sure the owner I bought the boat from never rebuild them too. and to be honest with you all I never winterized the boat last year and had fuel sitting in the cabs for at least at year. Also what is the right setting for the idle screw for the carbs? the screw I messed around with is located on long arm with 2 screws on it one says idle screw and the one below it is not labled? the other thing I haven't done yet is a compression test on her, what would be a good check? what PSI for each piston? well thanks for any info, hope this info helps. ran her this weekend and she drank about 10 gal of fuel (87 octane) with 16oz of seafoam still have 10 gals of fuel in the tank.

Paul