Wobbly Helm/Pilot Chair

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
The easiest way to fix this (for the short time) would be to install a (1/4") aluminum plate a couple inches larger than the seat base on top of the deck to displace the weight and make a larger "footprint". Next I would buy a large access cover (8" or larger") and install it either in front or behind the seat mount so you can reach in with one arm If you need to get below deck. Tis will buy you a couple of years before you have to fix it right.

I spoke with someone at a local boat shop today and they recommended something similar with regards to the plate. I'm trying to get a schematic from Glastron for the layout of the stringers/etc so that I can hopefully attach to the most solid things possible.

As for the access hatch, what would that be for? Trying to strengthen below the deck?

I'm also probably going to cut out where the base currently is to see what sort of damage I'm looking at.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
accessing below deck will allow you to thru bolt and or add second plate below.

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
So, to add a bit to this - it looks like, per my research, that all the VEC hull Glastrons (which mine is) have fiberglass stringers. So, if anything is rotted it should just be the plywood below the fiberglass deck. This doesn't mean it won't be a huge pain to fix, but at least the stringers are likely solid. Is this correct thinking?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
So, to add a bit to this - it looks like, per my research, that all the VEC hull Glastrons (which mine is) have fiberglass stringers. So, if anything is rotted it should just be the plywood below the fiberglass deck. This doesn't mean it won't be a huge pain to fix, but at least the stringers are likely solid. Is this correct thinking?

My pre-VEC Larson (very similar to Glastrons from the same era, I believe) had plywood decks, but the stringers were all fiberglass. If your Glastron has the fiberglass pan for a deck, I would think that anything under the deck in the pedestal area is reinforcement/backing for the pedestal. Putting in some sort of access panel, as suggested above, would seem to be the easiest way to confirm that. It would also give you enough space to work on replacing/reinforcing the backing for the pedestal. I wouldn't be surprised if now, the pedestal base is secured with wood screws that pass through the fiberglass deck, into a piece of plywood with a sheet of aluminum beneath it. If that's the case, simply getting some similar sized stainless steels bolts, with big washers and nylock nuts, might solve your problem. That's what I'd be hoping for, anyway...