WMC Fuel Pump - Carb issue - '88 25 horse

jakeboomer

Cadet
Hello,<br /><br />I am having a problem with my '88 25 Horse Merc fuel pump. The carb is a Walbro WMC with integrated fuel pump. I have rebuilt the carb using a Mercury factory carb kit, and following the steps in my Seloc manual. I have rebuilt two other carbs, but on older OMC units.<br /><br />The problem is this. After the carb rebuild, it seems like no fuel is entering the bowl. When I manually pump the primer, it sounds like blowing air. I removed the carb and dropped the bowl. There was very little fuel in it. The fuel that was there could have been attributed to my squirting fuel into the carb during troubleshooting. With the bowl off, and the fuel pump still assembled, I attached the fuel line and pumped the bulb solid. No fuel drained from the valve inlet above the bowl. It appears the fuel isn't getting from the fuel pump into the carburetor. When I took the fuel pump apart, only the top half looked wet from fuel.<br /><br />In the diagram for my fuel pump, the diaphragm locations aren't shown. I assume the configuration of the pump should be - carb body >> gasket >> diaphragm >> fuel pump body >> exterior diaphragm >> gasket >> fuel pump cover.<br /><br />Does anybody know what the configuration should be? I changed the diaphragm and gasket order between the carb and fuel pump body back and forth. Either way, I cannot squeeze the fuel bulb and watch fuel drain from the valve inlet into the bowl area. <br /><br />The engine ran before this carb rebuild, but didn't idle very well. During troubleshooting the motor would fire if I sprayed fuel mixture directly into the carb. <br /><br />I know somebody on this great site can help me out. There is an excellent wealth of knowledge. Thanks in advance.<br /><br />To see the diagram I am referencing, you can goto<br />www.mercurypartsexpress.com - parts for mercury marine products - type my serial number OB246376 - and choose "carburator (25)". The diagram will show up on the right of the page.

dolluper

Captain
Re: WMC Fuel Pump - Carb issue - '88 25 horse

outside cover/diafram gasket/fuelpump /gasket/maincarb body

jakeboomer

Cadet

My fuel pump has two diaphragms in it. One on each side of the fuel pump body. At least that is how it came apart.<br /><br />boomer

dolluper

Captain

Fuel pump yes now match the holes correctly but first inspect for little pin holes if you have any that's your problem, kits avval,put a good light under you will see them if they are there

Laddies

Banned

Even Mercury has some fit all kits with more than one diaphram or ck. vavle in them it sounds to me like you have to many parts installed in the carb. fuel pump

jakeboomer

Cadet

Alright, here's what I must have done. My WMC carb does in fact use 2 diaphrams. One on each side of the fuel pump body. The upsetting issue, is none of the diagrams I referenced (seloc - mercury) showed the correct installation order.<br /><br />When I orginally assembled the carb, I put the diaphram on the carb side of the pump on incorrectly. The correct order, starting from the carb is GASKET >> DIAPHRAM >> FUEL PUMP BODY >> DIAPHRAM >> GASKET >> PUMP COVER. With the diaphram against the carb body, no fuel could move from the top of the pump into the areas supplying the bowl. <br /><br />I ran the engine through a full tank of fuel on Saturday and it works great. <br /><br />Thanks again for everyone's help.