Wiring To Test Start Motor ??

OldPontooner

Cadet
[FONT=&quot]As I have stated before, I am new to boats and boat motors at 76 years old. Kind of hard to believe huh?

Here is my problem. I took a Suzuki 75hp off of my 1988 pontoon boat, and am installing a 125 Merc Force motor. Needless to say the wiring harness from the Suzuki is different colors than what the Force book calls for. I am very familiar with start motors and solenoids, and have that all wired. What I need to know is what wires on the wiring panel of the force need to have power to them in order for me to start the motor and keep it running for a test run?

I will try to post a picture of the wiring panel.

Any and alllllllllll help is greatly appreciated by this OLD Cowboy.... [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
i3AchdAMow2DQCAMMeMXqk1zehAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks,
Rick[/FONT]

OldPontooner

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo205015.jpg
    photo205015.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo205016.jpg
    photo205016.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The only thing that needs power to start an outboard of that vintage is the starter. You don't even need the engine to control box harness plugged in to start the engine. Use a short piece of wire and jumper the POSITIVE battery cable connection on the solenoid to the the smaller terminal on the solenoid that comes from the ignition switch. You may have to hand choke the engine to get it started. To stop it, disconnect or pinch off the fuel line.

OldPontooner

Cadet
Thanks a lot Silvertip. That is kind off what I thought, but not knowing anything about boat motors, I was afraid I might burn something up. Cany you please tell me what shuts it off when it is wired and you turn the key off? Gonna try and fire it tomorrow :)