wiring question

rockytop93

Seaman
1960 johnson 40 hp. When i got this engine there was no wiring to it. I have been building up the wiring harness. The engine is running good. My question concerns the vacuum cutout on the side if the block, and the wires that come from the points. I know one wire goes to the center stud on the cutout. Where does the wire from the other set of points go? Also where does the second wire on the center stud go, and where does the wire on the side of the cutout lead to?(ground wire I think. I hope someone can help. Sure dont want a runaway engine. Thanks,Allen

i386

Captain
Re: wiring question

I've posted a similar question. I'm waiting for some comfirmation, but I believe it goes something like this:

The coil for the upper cylinder goes to one of the terminals on the starter switch labeled M (Magneto). The other one is terminated on the center post of the vacuum cutout switch. And then the other black wire that's terminated on the center post goes to the other terminal labeled M on the starter switch.

Be VERY certain all this is wired up correctly and that you have the right kind of starter switch or some of your parts will be destroyed when 12V is appllied.

Hang in there ad hopefully someone a lot smarter than me will explain this a little better.

rockytop93

Seaman
Re: wiring question

i386 said:
I've posted a similar question. I'm waiting for some comfirmation, but I believe it goes something like this:

The coil for the upper cylinder goes to one of the terminals on the starter switch labeled M (Magneto). The other one is terminated on the center post of the vacuum cutout switch. And then the other black wire that's terminated on the center post goes to the other terminal labeled M on the starter switch.

Be VERY certain all this is wired up correctly and that you have the right kind of starter switch or some of your parts will be destroyed when 12V is appllied.

Hang in there ad hopefully someone a lot smarter than me will explain this a little better.