winterizing

conron

Seaman
I understand the need for winterizing but the way I see it is if I winterize it then I cant use it in the winter...so how do I get around this? I have a ski boat but I like to fish out of it which is what I want to do in the cold...it has a I/O merc 120 with the alpha one drive. So am i just stuck in the winter? I live in Atlanta ga doesn't really get "cold" here but it gets cold enough to crack a block

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: winterizing

Do a search for winterizing here on iboats. Ton's of threads.

Yes you must winterize every time after you run the boat and there is a threat of freezing.

The only portion you can skip if you use the boat often is fogging the motor

ziggy

Admiral

if yer gonna have a lay up for a while. you should winterize.
if your gonna use it during the winter in mild climates. you need to perform your yearly pm on your rig. but you don't have to winterize after ea. use in cold weather. YOU DO have to drain ALL the water out of the cooling system though to prevent freeze damage.
in other words. use it, then drain the water out of it right away in case of a freeze.

Bondo

Staff member

I live in Atlanta ga doesn't really get "cold" here but it gets cold enough to crack a block

Ayuh,.... And I live up here where Freezing Temps are seen from October to May...
I fish til I can't back the trailer Through the Ice, usually December or sometimes January, then go again, as soon as the Ice goes out in the Spring...
Starting in September, I Drain the Water out of everything as soon as the barge hits the wagon...
I also do this in the early spring fishin' trips...

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There should be a special place for those who use4 the "W" word in the middle of july.