Winterizing question

Timmy222

Cadet
What do I have to do for getting a 4 Hp Merc outboard motor ready for winter storage?

Thanks

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Winterizing question

Before you put the motor up for the winter, do a full annual maintenance. change the impeller in the water pump, lower unit lube, etc. Follow your owners manual.

Put Marine stabil (according to recommended amounts) in a full tank and run the engine for about 15 minutes.

Get a spray can of Marine Fogging Oil, pull the plug(s), spray fogging oil in the plug holes while turning the engine over without starting it.

Put the plugs back in and put it away for the winter.

By performing the annual maintenance before you store it you won't forget to do it next spring and end up on here asking "What Happened".

j_martin

Admiral

The reason you service the LU in the fall is that if there's any water in the lube, it would freeze and could break the LU casting. Personally, I just crack the drain plug and sample the lube in the fall. If it's clear lube, no water or "milk", then I let it go. If it isn't, I pull the LU for service over the winter. (My mechanic gives me a deep discount for allowing him to work on it during slow times.) I do the annual in the spring, so the water pump is fresh and hasn't been held with some vanes curled up all winter. Entire engine gets a once over, starting with compression check at that time.

Fogging oil needs to get into the fuel intake, be it carbs or air manifold on a 2 cycle to protect the crank and bearing parts.

If it's stored outdoors, or in a cold place, it's best left uncovered (not wrapped or tarped) so condensation can evaporate on a daily basis. It should be vertical, not tilted up so water doesn't collect in the prop area, freeze, and cause damage.

Some folks take the cowl off and spray WD40 all over everything to limit corrosion from said condensation. Doesn't hurt, but it's messy.

hope it helps
John

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

Do you do anything like remove the water plug in the head, blow air thru the block, put antifreeze in the block?

Glad Timmy asked the question, I'm wondering about my 50 hp Merc too.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Hotrod, Outboards are self draining, if left in the verticle position.

Timmy, I would run the motor out of fuel on the flusher, change the gear oil and toss it in the basement or shed. Larger motors require more care.....