winterizing mercruiser 470 advice

j_reed

Cadet
hey guys
for the 1st time I am winterizing a mecruiser 470, (closed water cooling) the antifeeze checked ok, other than the water side of the heat exchanger is there anything else to drain? the pipe in the power steering cooler seemed to be going downhill so I didn't add any rv. am I missing something?
thanks.
-jay

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: winterizing mercruiser 470 advice

....same engine here !!
I kinda got tired of constantly removing and installing that hard-to-reach drain plug on the heat exchanger, especially when I frequently use the boat in the winter for stripper. I replaced the drain plug with a long handled drain **** and now it's a breeze to drain the cooler. I must admit I have forgotten to close the **** a couple of times but my bilge pump has reminded me each time !!
Don't forget to either lower your leg or remove it to ensure all water has been removed...and by the way, NOW is the time to renew the lubricant in the leg to ensure that any water in the oil has been removed. Ditto on the engine oil.
Head on up to the Adult's section of the stickies at the top of this form. Don S. has prepared an all inclusive summary of winterizing under item #6.

FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny